Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could change or add one hunting law [waterfowl only], what would you do ???
I'd add sunday hunting, due to the fact that I get very little time off work, and when I do, it's usually a sunday :pissed:

· Registered
380 Posts
plainsman said:
If you could change or add one hunting law [waterfowl only], what would you do ???
I'd add sunday hunting,
YEP, I would Also! :thumbsup:

Some of us, have been Pushing for Sunday Hunting here in PA.

We can Legally Hunt on Sundays, but ONLY for Crows, Coyotes and Fox!

Many People Work Monday thru Saturday. Sunday being their only day off!

If you can Buy a Lottery Ticket, Play the Slots, Fish, Shoot Trap, Hunt these 3 I mentioned Above, Shop for Food, go to Football Basketball Baseball Game or to NASCAR Races, Have your Car Worked on, Buy Liquor or Beer in 6 packs, Set at your Favorite Watering Hole and get Drunk, What is so Wrong with hunting Everything on sundays?

We have 3 things in PA that can not be Done, Well 2 the other 1 is limited, they are, Buy a Car from a Dealer on Sundays, Buy a Case of Beer on Sundays, and Hunt anything other then the 3 above!

I am in Support also of Lowering the Age for our youth to Start hunting! 12 is to late!

· Registered
1,708 Posts
I would change the law which requires you to plug your gun. It doesn't make sense to me to limit to the number of shells when you have a set limit. You could pretty much only get off 3 shots on the ducks when they're in range, but for us it would save us from having to chase down some of the cripples.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
I would allow Canada goose hunters to shoot a set amount of geese, rather than limiting people to 1 or two geese a day. If we were allowed to shoot geese for approximately 60 days that would be around 120 geese a person could harvest. Now I know that would be a very tough number to hit, so allow the hunters to harvest 50 birds in a season, so when the birds are cooperating you could shoot them like Snows. I,ve been out there and shot my two birds in less than five minutes, and on other days they just wouldn't come in. Then add to the mix that you have to pick up hundreds of decoys. I know this leaves room for unreported harvesting, but don't tell me that doesn't happen now! (Wisconsin) Wings cupped, Pete

· Registered
3,949 Posts
i would definately be on them about that sunday hunting law. i forgot all about that back east. i knew there was another reason i couldn't leave maryland fast enough. lol.

i like the plugged gun law. it cuts down on the skybusters and other undesirables. now, put away the flamethrowers boys. i am not implying that people without plugs are automatically skybusting idiots. however, the skybusters dream is to be able to bang away even more times at that fleeing duck. face it..if you didn't get it the first 3 times, you probably won't get it the next 3. lol. some places out here even have limits on the number of shotgun shells you can posses. 1 box per hunter..you would be amazed how close people let those birds get and how much better their aim is when they only have one box off ammo for the day. lol.

i can't think of too much i would have them change around here. are laws are pretty hunter friendly. maybe a total ban on spinning wing decoys. battery or wind/pull string operated.

· Registered
452 Posts
i always wanted to do away with the plug. when we hunt quail some times we could use those extra shells. when a covey flushes it gets pretty exciting, then another covey, and another... but the azgf let us take it out this year for non migratory birds. to late for me cause i shoot a side by side now. but your right if they did away with the plug all together i know there would be some cross eyed sky buster useing 100+ shells a day. (on one duck) i'm ok with all the rules. if there were no rules there would be no ducks.

· Registered
3,949 Posts
had said:
to late for me cause i shoot a side by side now.
i shot a side by side for years. mostly dove hunting down in your neck of the woods Had. funny thing though. when i switched up and started shooting a pump one thing changed. i started shooting more shells per bird. i could still shoot as well as i could with the double gun, but when i missed, i missed 3 times instead of twice. also, i fould that i tended to miss more on my first shot than i did with the doubles. i think that security of the extra shot actually made me into a worse shooter than i aready was. lol. man, with 6 rounds in the gun. lord knows what would happen to me. :laughing:

· Registered
452 Posts
:toofunny: that is true. i do alot of dove hunting here its like a tradition. when i first started i could use 75+ shells a day and it is a 15 day season :eek: . that was with my 870. with my double i'm under one box for my 10 doves with my best at 16 shots for a limit. so the side by side has made a diference. of course over time i have become a better shot but it does make you think when you only have 2 shots.

· Registered
672 Posts
Sure would like to shoot dove's in Iowa but they banned it. That no hunting on Sunday's is a load of crap. Iwould write your congressmen everday, I don't know what Iwould do if I could'nt go hunting on that day, probaly quit my job.

· Registered
2,318 Posts
sunday hunting would be a big problem for me. that's definitely one i would have to change. like previously mentioned, i do the majority of my hunting on the weekends.

about the plug law. i am actually surprised to see this brought up. i agreee with swamp puppy on this, but not just for the sky busting. it also cuts down tremendously on the number of wounded animals that don't go down immediately that eventually die from infection, etc. that would devastate the bird population (not just ducks, either.)

i don't want to offend anyone but i have to get a on soap box for a second. if you can't drop a bird (duck, goose, dove, quail, grouse, etc.) in 2 or 3 shots, then you don't need to be shooting at them. go to the range and practice. the are only a couple of reasons i can think of that you wouldn't be able to drop them in the 3 shots. 1)you're shooting the wrong size shot for the game you're hunting; 2) you're shooting out of effective range of the gun/shells/shooting ability (sky busting); or 3)you just can't shoot accurately. it amazes me that people will be ethical (1 shot, 1 kill) with rifles, pistols, bows, etc. for big game but they want to flail away at upland game/migratory birds. seriously, unless your shooting at least a double, just 2 shots should do. i know that i am not a perfect shot and sometimes i do miss. i do know this too, i rarely, if ever kill anything flying away with a 3rd shot (much less 4th, 5th, or 6th if they were legal). if the birds aren't getting in range, it's simple...don't shoot!

this is just my take on it, i don't want anyone to get upset or feel like i am singling them out. that's not the case. one of the main reasons i feel strongly about this because i did put in the time at the range, found the best shells, learned my limitations, etc.

one last thing, my best dove day....12/12. done it several times... :thumbsup:

· Registered
452 Posts
well... i meant it would be nice to have 5 shots on quail so i could shoot 5 quail when they flush. not 5 shots at one quail. sorry for the confusion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.