Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mine is tuned very high and I have tuned and re-tuned but it will not get goosey unless I really choke down on the insert.

·
Registered
164 Posts
to tune it lower you need to show more reed. To make a big change you just move the wedge down the call a little bit in relation to the sound board. Don't move the reed, if it sets in the sound board perfect that's where you want it. For more subtle changes you can pull the whole thing (sound board, wedge, reed) out of the back of the insert a little bit and this puts pressure lower on the reed. Just remember small changes in shifting that wedge in relation to the tone board make BIG differences. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I just got one and love it. Nice mid range goose that can go a little higher and lower with some voice. Very fast. I love it. It is a lot like my HPH only can go louder and has a deeper sound. I am running right at 5/8" exposed reed just fitting in the channel and with the guts all set just a little short of the wedge flush with the top of the insert. Could pull out the whole gut set a touch more for a little deeper sound I think.

I usually tune a new call 30-50 times over days before settling on a setting. A little move can make a big difference and there are a lot of combination to try when you first start messing with a different call.

A small pen mark on the reed and tone board can help you gauge your alignment so you have a reference so you can see how much more or less reed is exposed and how deep the guts are set with each adjustment. Without this it is hard to see very small changes as you work through the differences.

It is really fun and easy to tune a call, but it takes a while to get the feel for different calls so don't get frustrated. Once you figure it out and find the sweet spot in a call for you it is easier to play with little differences in tune because you know the range of adjustment you can work in.

I also find as your style changes and as you learn new sounds the tune needs to change to fit you and hit different notes. Until you can tune a call you will never know for sure if a call really fits your needs. I have had calls I traded because I didn't like them and after I learned to tune a call I had to try them again. Now some of those are my favorite calls.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
japeiler15 said:
Mine is tuned very high and I have tuned and re-tuned but it will not get goosey unless I really choke down on the insert.
High and low is personal preference and perception to some extent. Calls do have a range they work best in so not all calls will sound like what some people want a call to sound like. It could be your just no tuning right. Different calls can have a lot different setting for gut depth or reed length. It is probably just that the call is just not the sound range you like. Maybe a SR-1 would be what you want.

I was using a flute and more low goosey tuned SR calls in the past. This year I used a mid to low tone tuned SMH, a PSM tuned about mid range for that call, and a HPH tuned right in the sweet spot for me, which is a touch on the high side of a mid range call. The HPH turned them and brought in even the giant Canada locals the best of all the calls this year for me. When the low goosey sounds would not even get them to take a look the HPH would turn them and bring them in. Often after trying the other two calls with no interest or after they swung off. I am convinced either they have heard too many low goosey calls or a higher pitch call just gets a different reaction for some reason, but it works. I can't wait to turn the MM loose on them next year. I will still run three calls of different ranges of tone and volume just to have a variety of stuff to throw at them. You never know what they want, but I think the MM and HPH will be primary calls next year.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will let you know how she works since my season opens back up in a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts