Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a homemade version of the 200 dollar mallard machine at duckfever.com and am in the process of making it now for next season (almost done too) anyway i was wondering how many of you used them and where did you use them. i am debating using it in the timber or in the field. any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think you should stop wasting your time and invest in a bungee cord and some string.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
They suck in flooded rice fields. :thumbsdown: They ALWAYS seem to get clogged up after about 15sec of running. they work great in the timber though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The only time we ever had any luck with the MM in our group, it was sitting in about 2.5 foot deep water, and it never messed up once.

The water level came down later that season when we broke it out again and it clogged nonstop. PITA!

Like plucky said, bungee cord. But don't let the ladies see you jerking your string :tongue:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I made one using the Mallard Machine hub and arms that I bought from the company for $60. At the time I didn't like any of the designs that others had made. They all looked like they would break in half after a couple of uses.

I've used my MM a total of 5 times in 4 seasons as it is a HUGE pain in the butt to set up and keep it from spinning. It does put out a lot of movement, but a jerk string is much easier to mess with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand everyones complaints about the money but this setup cost me a total of 5 dollars. i used one of my great grandpas trolling motor from 1965 that didn't work fixed the motor and bought conduit for 5 dollars.

as to being a hassle to put out i'm gonna either leave it out in the timber at dave donaldson or leave out in a private field so i won't have to bring it home everyday

1 - 7 of 7 Posts