Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha!
I am lucky enough to hunt the Massachusetts coast 6 days a week from November 1st through the late goose season which ends this year on Feb. 15th and I love every minute of it!!! This section of coastline has an incredible diversity of birds. Some of the highlights of the season were harlequins decoying in on 3 seperate occasions, a king eider drake going by as I was picking up my long lines, a drake pintail landing in the decs after the close of their season and a flock of forty brant passing 30 yards over head on the last day of the season!!! Bands were a little scarce this season with the great duck Gods yielding only three to my boat. A mallard drake banded in 96, a drake eider, and a hen eider. All bands are trophies but the eiders are really a rarity as I have figured that only one in every thousand eiders that we gun has a band!! Well that's it or now, Hope everyone else up here in New England had a great season!!

Marshman

·
1,456 Posts
Souds great Marshman,glad you had a good season.Where do you hunt from ?Cape cod,North Shore,South Shore,all of the above?I used to live in Gloucester and it is a bottle neck for ducks,especially Seaduck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dogman,
I hunt from Boston Harbor in the south up to the mouth of the Merrimack. I hunted out of Gloucester Harbor a few days this season with some great results!! This harbor is the only place that I have ever seen eiders behave like park mallards and take bread from people in the summer!! Happy hunting!!

·
1,456 Posts
They breed on the shore line,especially Ten pound Island in the harbor at Gloucester.Get plenty of handouts from tourists and locals alike.Off Halibut point is good if you have a bigger boat.Just about any area between Cape Ann and Maine is good Seaduck hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hunting out of a DW 19 which hunts four guys nicely. The Gloucester area definately has some great sea duckin' but I've found that I can't count on hunting out of that harbor except on nicer days and days with a predominantly westward wind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.