Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what age a male dog sexually matures. My male is right around 6 months, and I've never had a male before, so I was just wandering. The reason is that my female is coming into season in the next week. I plan on neutering the male once he is fully developed structurally, but for now I think I'll have a fight on my hands.

I don't want to spay the female yet, as she is turning into a fine little dog, and I want to test her in a few different orgs. and possibly breed if she does well with hunting, testing, and all around companionship. If I breed, I want the outcome to be a truly versatile litter. A dog that can run in the field, swim in the marsh, and still be low keyed enough to stay in the house and sleep in bed with me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Their testicles usually descend by 6 months which is when Vets usually snip them. But I am pretty sure that a male can get a girl pregnant before that. I would definately keep them separated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have Fun! We have found out that Belle's heat is a great time to catch up on our stray dog catching hobby. lol We had a dog a mile away going crazy last time and unfortuanately I work for his owner. I offered to take him in to be neutered myself so she wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
huntingwidow said:
Have Fun! We have found out that Belle's heat is a great time to catch up on our stray dog catching hobby. lol We had a dog a mile away going crazy last time and unfortuanately I work for his owner. I offered to take him in to be neutered myself so she wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.
Who was the neutering offered for the dog, or your boss. lol.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
huntingwidow is right, usually around 5-6 months. if you're definitely going to get him neutered you should be able to get it done now. i would recommend doing it before he figures out what that thing is for because once they get it, they never forget it. even after being fixed they will sometimes act as if they are not. it's best to have it done as soon as possible...

btw, you'll know when she is ready because she start backing up to anything with a heartbeat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ACEBLDRS said:
Who was the neutering offered for the dog, or your boss. lol.
My boss is a woman so umm I'm pretty sure it was for her dog although I would also willingly take her husband in for a little snip too. :laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.