Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aways use ear protection while shooting (not hunting). Maybe it is time I use them for everything else that is loud. I was doing some running around, and the wife asked me to pick up some "coolant" while I was out.
So when she saw the gallon jug of "Xerex" on the table, she asked me what it was for. I told her it was the anti-freeze she asked me to get. You know...goes in the radiator...duh... Then she said; "I wanted you to get "Cool-whip" not "coolant" you idiot." Yeah...the people at the store thought it was funny also when I returned it. They didn't have any "Cool-whip" either. Burned twice in less than 15 minutes.

·
1,456 Posts
Yes,by all means use the plugs all the time around loud noise.You will save your hearing from any more damage and prevent others.
When I was in the service I spend 4 years going to sea in the engine room of a Coast Guard Cutter.While we had and used the big plastic ear muffs they were not enough when spending time around 5000 HP diesel engines.The result is some hearing loss but worse is the Tinnitus,a constant ringing in my left ear.Its been that way for 22 years.
I use ear plugs all the time now and if I don't always hear the guys I am with when out hunting so what I'll survive,they will too.If the inconvenience is too much then you can invest in the electronic type that have a decibel cut off over 90.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Irony...I almost did not make it into the Navy because my hearing was bad. Next thing I knew, I was working on a flight deck of an Aircraft carrier. I know all about those "big plactic ear muffs."

·
Registered
969 Posts
My dad was an artillery officer in the Marines for 29 years, and now he you can practically hear the TV blaring when you turn into the driveway of my parents' house. I guess ear plugs weren't popular (or at least not effective) when he was out in the field 20-some years ago.

The ironic thing is, he always tells me I am shouting at him when we're talking on the phone. I'm not, but he has the sound on his receivers turned up to "deafen" so I think a lot of people sound like they're yelling.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Snafu518 said:
was working on a flight deck of an Aircraft carrier.
That explains a lot about snafu does't it gentlemen... all those jet exhaust fumes got to him... :laughing:

:mrgreen:

I did not type it in bold to indicate shouting-I wonder if he'll hear me? :toofunny:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snafu518 wrote:

Jet exhaust is the smell of freedom!

If thats the case then a fart is the smell of " it's time to eject."

Yes, by all meens wear the ear protection, cause you only get one set in a life time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wear earplugs in the blind, but I took them out this past year and paid the price. Some geese flew behind out blind over my should and a guy threw his gun up and pulled the trigger with the end of the barrel about 12 inches from my head. I have never had my ears hurt that bad before in my life.......I will always wear earplugs from now on.

Bozeman

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i'll wear hearing protecting when practicing, but not in actual hunting situations. i feel like i can't be as aware of my surroundings without being able to hear correctly. i haven't had any problems with my ears so far...(knock on wood).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Say Again?

Please talk into my other good artillery ear!

I also finally realized the importance of ear plugs. After 6 years of Marine artillery and 12 years of hunting I have noticed a rapid decline in my hearing. Like most of you I shoot with ear protection but do not hunt with it (I like to hear those whistling wings). But within the past year i've noticed i can't hear a person talking to next me very well if their is any background noise. I found a pair of ear plugs that allow some sound in and block only really lowd sounds, I got them at Wal-Mart and will probably use them next season.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.