Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old mec 600 jr. i am wondering what i need to reload steel shot, and how much will it cost for what i need. also do you actually save any money or will it just be a hobby .. probably looking to reload 12 ga 3''in and 20ga3'' #2 shot for both. Any help will be appreciated. harborfowler

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
hf, you don't need to do anything with your Mec. All you need is a scale or powder dispenser like the Lyman 1200. The Lee powder measures are nice in weighing the powder. The STEEL canister says to weigh this powder altho some choose to drop it with their Mecs. I volumetric measure my shot using unslitted shot cups cut to the appropriate length for steel 3's and smaller. I count steel shot of 2's and bigger using empty small rifle Win primers taping off the unused holes and throwing the shot in a mounted funnel into the hull. I weigh all my STEEL propellant or dispense it with my Lyman 1200.
If you can buy wholesale and pick up powder, primers, and shot in your area you can save about 1/2 reloading steel. Prices have went up this year. I'm presently reloading my fast 7/8 oz steel loads for $4.47 a box but I paid $78 per 5000 for my primers. Feel free to give me a shout anytime. Steel can and will kill to 60 yds. I recommend 2 3/4" fast steel for ducks. Ned S

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
if you are open to suggestion on your loads of choice, my suggestion is to shoot a smaller size shot than 2's for ducks. 4's would be the best if you are going to load fast 3" loads. especially in that 20ga. the 600jr is perfect for loading steel. it does a great job and since you will be weighing out powder and shot drops, whats the difference if it feeds thru the machine?? :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.