Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Merc 90 hp four stroke with 250 hours on it completely detonated. I babied this engine. My advice is that if you have one sell it (fast) and if you are thinking of getting a Merc don't. My insurance guy said the Yamahas are doing this all over the place too. Well guess who uses the same powerhead as Merc, yes Yamaha. Just thought I would opine, maybe ya'll can learn from my misfortune. And the Merc Rep Already told me to go to hell so that's a dead end (Sweet, a crap product AND bad customer service). I am 48 years old, don't waterski, I just fish...and not fast.
Nova

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found out Mercury has a big problem they are tryin to hide. They put cheap head gaskets in thier outboards. This allows water to enter the cylinder and water dosen't compress...boom. They are now in a fight with Yamaha because Yamahas are blowing up too. They don't want to admit they have a problem because of recall i.e. money. I guess when you are buying up boat compainies left and right you have to skimp somewhere.
Again word to the wise..DON'T BUY A MERCURY OUTBOARD.
nOVA

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Novamag, I'm sorry to hear that, been there done that. with an evenrude. I bought a Honda 4 stroke, great motor back 03, can't say enough about it. Good luck Bro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok thanks novamag. I am ordering my duck boat, either a Lowe or War Eagle if I can get a decent deal on it in Alaska since there are no dealers up here. I was going to put a merc on it but I might go with Zuzuki for a great price on the southeast side of the US

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Thats odd, ive been on boats with mercuries that run nice, and my boat has a Yamaha and it is awsome! Im not doubting you or anything, but thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
hey in the merc motors its the number three pistion going out it isng being cooled enough i have had 4 guys come to me to fix it. stay away from them they are just bad engines go with yamaha or evinrude

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Every company is going to have a bad motor here and there. I bet for every complaint and problem with a Merc there are 100 more out there who have never had a problem. Same goes for Yamaha. I bet there are a lot more problems with the 4-strokes than the 2-strokes though.

Myself, and other hunting buddies have never had problem with their Mercs or Yamahas, but they're all 2-strokes. Currently in our hunting group there is a 4 year old Merc 50 horse, a 5 year old Merc 25 horse, a 25 year old Merc 25 horse and a 16 year old Yamaha 25 horse. Nothing has had to be done to these motors except changing plugs and lower unit grease.

What problem exactly did your motor have? Was it still under warranty? If it wasn't I can understand them not fixing it.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
next time buy a 2 stroke

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you for the input huhich. The was great info and we all appreciate the post. Perhaps you confused our forum with nerdchat.com. In this forum we use actually guns not imaginary weapons. Will a moderater please send this person into spammed oblivion?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
WildernessWill said:
Thank you for the input huhich. The was great info and we all appreciate the post. Perhaps you confused our forum with nerdchat.com. In this forum we use actually guns not imaginary weapons. Will a moderater please send this person into spammed oblivion?
dude, you dug this up from the grave.

·
Registered
487 Posts
well in my opinion i will not own a 4stroke.ive had evinrudes and johnsons all my life.never owned a merc or a yammy.and evinrude is the only 2stroke available now!i have a 225ho etec on my triton and a 50 johnny on my duck boat.my buddy just bought a 50hp etec for his duck/fishin boat and likes it alot.its the only motor i will own after having one.brp has done wonders with evinrude period!

·
Registered
69 Posts
bayouboy said:
WildernessWill said:
dude, you dug this up from the grave.
Yeah, extremely strange that he brought a thread that was dead back alive and then told the moderator to send it to the grave. :no:

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
william costa said:
well in my opinion i will not own a 4stroke.ive had evinrudes and johnsons all my life.never owned a merc or a yammy.and evinrude is the only 2stroke available now!i have a 225ho etec on my triton and a 50 johnny on my duck boat.my buddy just bought a 50hp etec for his duck/fishin boat and likes it alot.its the only motor i will own after having one.brp has done wonders with evinrude period!
isnt the optimax, a 2 stroke???

dont they still sell them?

I think GENERALLY there will always be a bad egg in batches of anything made.....but sometimes the design is cheeeet...and the make should eat it....send out a recall.... they THINK they are saving money....but people respect brands standing behind a failure, and remember..."i got a bad apple , but they made good on it....i will be with them until they change"

that is powerfull..

but the pencil pusher bean counter cost accountant azzzzzholes....muddle with chit to justify their job

the tool

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
toolmaker said:
isnt the optimax, a 2 stroke???

dont they still sell them?

the tool
Along with calling a dead thread to grave that he had brought up himself (good eye BB1 as well), i was confused by this myself. I have a 135HP, 2 stroke Optimax...love it. I would take it over any etec. Talking about a crap motor, but they are all man made and junk we spend money on anyway. The things we do to be on the water......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.