Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Merc 4 stroke 90 horse blew up w/ 250 hours on it. Totally detonated. I babied this engine. Yes, it's off warranty, No I will not be buying another Merc POS. Just a word for all of you looking at outboards......Buy anything else.
Nova

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the word on the engine. Turns out Mercury puts cheap head gaskets thier engines and they fail regularly. This results in water getting into the cylinders and water dosen't compress and boom. Mercury is now in a fight with Yamaha because the Yamahas are blowing too. Anyhow Merc won't admit to a problem because of recall/$$$$. Can you believe they put a 25 dollar head gasket on a o/b they charge 9 grand for? What a crap company.
Nova

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I've been looking at boats this spring and was talked out of a Merc by a Merc dealer. They have to be bad if that's the case. I've heard both Honda and Suzuki are well built and should last forever. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.