Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
That is so wrong. I'll sure keep my eyes out for him. Where was he when he was stolen?

I keep my pup in the back in a kennel when I'm at work, but I've always been worried that some fool might try and just take him out. Maybe a padlock on the kennel would even further hinder someone from such an act.

I just can't believe someone would steal a person's dog! I sure hope you find him!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got Moose back about an hour ago. Figures, post this and then someone gives him back. Anyway he's home after 6 days. Still dont know all the details but main thing is he's back

thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He got out of the yard last thursday (2/14/08)and was picked up about 3 blocks away that day by a young guy. 6 days later, his girlfriend and her mother apparently pressured him into returning him or the reward offers on the radio, in the papers and posted all over did. Also my wife told all 468 of her elementry students to be looking out for him. This is all second hand info. I havent actually talked to him just his girlfriend for a couple mins. If this is true then it pretty much appears he wasnt going to return him. Right now im still pi$$ed off, but I have my buddy back and thats all I care about. But the fact that someone wouldnt call in to report a dog they picked up really blows my mind. At least he was well cared for while he was gone. I think he gained 10lbs. LOL

·
Registered
105 Posts
I open the garage door every morning and let my lab out to go to the bathroom, by the time I get my coat on and head into the garage he is sitting there waiting to be fed, literally about 1 minute from the time I let him out. Keep in mind, this is a lab who won't get more then about 10 feet from me unless he is retrieving birds. About 2 years ago I came out in the garage after letting him out and he wasn't there, it was about 5am and pretty cold. I looked around my neighborhood for the next 5 hours for him. Finally about 10 am some guy pulls up in a truck with Drake in the back. He told me that he was jogging down the street saw my garage door open and out came Drake. Well, Drake saw a runner and decided to go for a run. This guy proceeded to keep running go home take a shower, eat breakfast, and bring my dog back 5 hours later. I was this close to punching the guy, but I was so relieved to have him back, that is all I cared about. What kind of guy sees a dog run out from your garage at 5am and just takes him along...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Don't you live in Dillon? Kind of a small town to be stealing dogs in considering that you'd see the kid out at a park or somewhere sooner or later. One of mine has a chip and they both sport some identifying notches in their ears but I have worried about them getting stolen in the past because they're so sweet to total strangers. If I catch someone stealing my dogs the authorities are going to have to dig out their dental records to fugure out who they were.

Heard a story maybe from Crackpipe about someone who's dog was stolen in Missoula. A year later he gets a call because someone took it to the vet in Hamilton and they scanned it and found out who the real owner was. Dog was all out of shape and had been replaced but still, chips aren't a bad idea and considering the price of owning an animal not a major expense.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moose is chipped, but that only works if the vet scans him. and I was told they dont do this as a matter of course, unless they are on the lookout. I was pretty sure IF he was still in Dillon that he would turn up as all the vets knew to watch for him, but I have to admit after 6 days I was getting more than a little worried that maybe someone from out of town might have picked him up.

The guy that picked him up called and told me he didnt want a reward. So maybe, I guess, that possibly he just forgot to report picking up a lab or maybe he was just trying one out for size.

Having this happen is a horrible experiance and I hope it never happens to any of you. Its like loseing one of your kids.

Nonya- I am pissed that this guy had my dog for 6 days. Its pretty apparent that Moose is not a run of the mill stray dog. I dont know his reasons, and like you said hes back so who cares. But its pretty fishy that someone would keep a well trained lab for 6 days without telling anyone. I should be clear about this point. HE did not return the dog. His girl friend did after her mother spoke to her. Now is there anyone you know who would pick up a lab and hold onto him for 6 days without calling the local animal shelters,vets, sheriff etc. I had adds in the papers, on the radio and in most of the gas stations and stores in town starting the next day after he went missing. Passing odd if you ask me. Im very grateful that my do was returned. But I still think Im entittled to be upset for the 6 day delay.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry still a little worked up about the whole deal

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a guess, but I would bet anyone of us would be a little upset if the same thing happened to them. Like I said, all I cared about was getting my dog back, and I thanked the guy 10 times.
Not into arguing with people in chat forums..

·
Registered
57 Posts
phutch i feel ya man i just bought a black lab that to say the least could buy A LOT of decoys. That feeling sucks because a lab is just not a dog its a huntin buddy. and i do feel that is MESSED up that someone would keep him for six days. and maybe i am a ******* a$$hole but if i found out someone was planning on keeping my dog and returned a few weeks later id knock some sense into him. Montana is supposed to be the last place to turn for the bad. but in the end I am glad to hear Moose is back.
God Bless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.