Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s your first impression and thoughts? Was looking at the Beretta Ultima and then saw a couple used 391 Xtrema 2’s. He had a like new Xtrema 2 he brought in today. And now the dang guy throws a Pro Waterfowl in front of me he just got in. Killing me. The Ultima is $699, like new Xtrema is gonna be 850 . The Mossberg I think around $825. Any advice. Using one of my 390’s now. Just want a dedicated duck gun and not spend $1500 or more really. Thanks

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My first thought was, I liked it and it feels like it fits like a glove. I appreciated the LOP adjustments that come with it as most guns are too short for me. The only other gun I own that had that option is my Renegauge.

I know most people don't like Mossberg guns because they are not the "splash" brand name.

I like my 930 and this one feels like it is going to replace that one with no problem. I don't know the specifics on the differences in the two guns but this 940 feels more solid and better put together. Slimmer frond end etc. It might all be in my head but it appears to be an upgrade in quality from the 930. I suggest you consider it.

Side note - I have not shot it yet because I have been tied up deer hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It caught my attention that the lop could be brought down under 14”. When it’s cold and all clothes etc… on I really have to push the gun out and bring in to get a good mount. That would be nice, and wouldn’t take much to adjust back. So many people don’t fit guns far as drop, cast on/off etc…matter of fact I’d say way over half guts I know don’t and that’s being generous. It can solve alot of issues. You’d think all waterfowl guns would do that but I guess alot of people don’t deal with cold temps down south. There’s alot of days we’re breaking ice.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I can't wait to use mine and will likely give it a try the next weekend.

Ironically I just bought a 930 Pro Series Waterfowl earlier this year because I did not know the 940 was coming out. The 940 just feels different and feels a lot smoother and less bulky. That is probably all in my head as I stated earlier I have a feeling this one will be with me for quite a while.

The only negative I see is I would have preferred a 26" barrel. That was not a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
What’s your first impression and thoughts? Was looking at the Beretta Ultima and then saw a couple used 391 Xtrema 2’s. He had a like new Xtrema 2 he brought in today. And now the dang guy throws a Pro Waterfowl in front of me he just got in. Killing me. The Ultima is $699, like new Xtrema is gonna be 850 . The Mossberg I think around $825. Any advice. Using one of my 390’s now. Just want a dedicated duck gun and not spend $1500 or more really. Thanks
The like-new Xtrema2 at $850 is a screaming deal (especially if it has Kick-Off) and a MUCH nicer gun to shoot, and own, than the Mossberg.

I'm scratching my head over the owner of several Beretta even considering a Mossberg as a shooter....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have shot an 870 for ducks/geese since 1994...many doubles and triples to my credit. Recently considering a move to semi-auto. Yesterday at the sporting clays I shot a fellows 940 waterfowl pro. I was very pleasantly surprised. it shot well, the trigger was not a million lbs pull like some are...has me thinking about getting one ... would love to hear of any experiences in the field....mainly i shoot 2.75 or 3" on ducks and/or geese...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It definitely isn't your dad's Mossberg. That is what I had to get used to, a higher quality gun made by them.

I took mine dove hunting once and it shot well. That is the only time I have shot it and will get it into action once duck starts here in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The like-new Xtrema2 at $850 is a screaming deal (especially if it has Kick-Off) and a MUCH nicer gun to shoot, and own, than the Mossberg.

I'm scratching my head over the owner of several Beretta even considering a Mossberg as a shooter....
funny thing....don't know a Mossberg owner that would lower themselves to a beretta

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
😂 I’m no “ gun snob” but I’m definitely laughing at the “ guy with several Beretta’s” comment. I was just wanting to see/hold the new 300 Ultima. When I tried the A300 , I just couldn’t get over the difference in “ feel” between it and my older Beretta’s. Just felt cheaper and didn’t feel right. The new Ultima is heading in the right direction for sure. When I saw the Extremas on rack I couldn’t believe they where there. I don’t go with the “ newer is better” idea. I’m still leaning towards the Extrema 2. But he said “hey, ck this new Mossberg out” and it doesn’t feel /look like the older Mossbergs. Curiosity got me. 😂
Anyhow, I’m actually going there Thursday as I had to go work few hours away for a week and he just called yesterday and said he had the “ like new” Extrema2 in his possession and still saying it’s like new. I’d really like to shoot the 940 though. It seriously doesn’t remind you of the older model Mossbergs. I can hardly find anything online from a normal person on it though and I don’t feel like being the experimental guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone has a new 940 Pro Waterfowl please let us know how it shoots and what you think. Duck season opened here in Missouri last weekend. The trusty 390 still getting them but always looking for excuse to get a new gun. Haven’t seen a 300 Ultima Camo yet anywhere. He has a nice camo SX3 also. Have couple guys that swear by theirs. I just gotta stop looking.😂

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If anyone has a new 940 Pro Waterfowl please let us know how it shoots and what you think. Duck season opened here in Missouri last weekend. The trusty 390 still getting them but always looking for excuse to get a new gun. Haven’t seen a 300 Ultima Camo yet anywhere. He has a nice camo SX3 also. Have couple guys that swear by theirs. I just gotta stop looking.😂
I shot mine dove hunting a few weeks ago and really like it. It ejected fine, no hiccups and fit me like a glove. My first duck hunt with it will be in two weeks but it works in dove season. It is taking me a while to get used to the tang safety but that is not a show stopper.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I shot mine dove hunting a few weeks ago and really like it. It ejected fine, no hiccups and fit me like a glove. My first duck hunt with it will be in two weeks but it works in dove season. It is taking me a while to get used to the tang safety but that is not a show stopper.
The tang safety is the reason I’ve had a mossberg for 20+ years. I’m left handed and back then I don’t believe anyone made a lefty shotgun (not that I could afford anyway). Never understood the hatred towards them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
42,991 Posts
The tang safety is the reason I’ve had a mossberg for 20+ years. I’m left handed and back then I don’t believe anyone made a lefty shotgun (not that I could afford anyway). Never understood the hatred towards them.

It's my 8 round home defense weapon if they get past the wife. I too prefer a tang, some of the reason I use an O/U for birds too. (y) Never thought about it much but my left handed Dad was an upland hunter and always carried a SxS so makes sense. Same reason I fish a spinning reel with the crank on the right, just like a lefty or Dad would fish it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's my 8 round home defense weapon if they get past the wife. I too prefer a tang, some of the reason I use an O/U for birds too. (y) Never thought about it much but my left handed Dad was an upland hunter and always carried a SxS so makes sense. Same reason I fish a spinning reel with the crank on the right, just like a lefty or Dad would fish it.
see i do like you! Love a tang safety, wish more shotguns had them. My O/Us and BPS are all that i own that have them. Never really owned a mossberg to be honest. Also, i put the crank on the right side of a spinning real as well. Everyone makes fun of me for it, just feels way more natural

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

No hatred from me, I just am not used to it but think it will be fine. One week from today and season starts but it may be slow. I went out today and saw zero ducks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I bought one off the 940's last year. Mainly due to adjustable LOP. I took a lot of time patterning it and adjusting the shims for a good fit hoping for the perfect POA. I have been very pleased with function and hit ratio. I have never kept exact records, but probably my best percentage year. The only negative is I wish they offered more shims. I could use about two more inches of cast off at 40 yards, and I'm not sure how to get it. But, I will say it fits better than anything I have ever owned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts