Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting a new shotgun. My uncle is trying to talke me into a mossberg..however I was looking at a browning bps. The stock is a little long but kknow a guy who can trim it. I might can get the browning for close to the price of a mossberg

for the same price which one would be better. Also the ports in the waterfowl addition mossberg..do they not make the gun Loud as all get out??

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I'd choose browning over mossberg every time, but ported barrels ARE loud. If you hunt from layouts it not a big deal, but we don't allow ported barrels (or even ported chokes) in the pit blinds. Gunfire is hard enough on your ears without that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
mossbergs (mossturd) are junk from my experience with them. They are very cheaply made compared to other gun manufactures (hints the low prices). Defiantly go with the Browning or a Remington 870 express if you are looking for a good pump that will never fail you.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If you can get the Browning for close to the price of the Mossy I would get the BPS. As long as its in good shape you will be happy.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Ahh, yes, resorting to petty name calling - always makes for strong argument. :biggrin:
I own and shoot both a BPS and Mossberg routinely and cannot say much negative about either. From the perspective a southpaw, the safety placement is excellent, but some people - especially new shooters seem to get tripped up by the bottom load on a BPS (though I can never figure out why).
The BPS, in all fairness, is generally a better made gun, and if you are confident that the stock adjustment will correct any fit problems, then I'd say to go for it.
-Erik

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i have two Browning bps 10 gauges and an 20 ga. Built to last and just all around great guns to shoot.
Definitely go for the brownings.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Never owned the browning, but have had several Mossbergs for several years and they have all been solid performers. Fit and finish on my guns is not outstanding compared to the more expensive guns but overall quaility is good. Have you checked out a Nova? I got one at xmas this year and really like it too!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The browning is the pretty gun out of the two. Better machinging and quality standards. The mossberg may not look as good but both are good guns. The mossberg will stay step for step when it comes to shooting.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Not trying to poke fun of you A5Mag12. By looking at your name im gonna guess you just don't like shooting ugly guns. :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're using it for ducks, go with the Browning. It will hold up much better than the Mossy under duck hunting stresses (mud, water, and 100's of rounds fired.) If you plan on using it for say turkey hunting, I'd go with the Mossy and the overbored barrel. Throws awesome patterns.

BPShunter

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have had the Mos 500 and 835 and a couple BPS's. The BPS just doen't fit me, but if it did it would be the hands down winner between the two reguarles of the price. The Mos is a good gun for the money, but the BPS is the kind of gun you can have around a couple generations.

With that said I shoot 870's :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, if you are able to get a bps for the price of a mossberg, you just may be getting a good deal.

What BPS? Stalker?

I got my BPS after much thought, and looked at both the Mossberg and the Browning. I like the thumb-safety, I wwasn't set either way, but after haveing a bit of experience with kiskadinna's BPS i decided that it was the route I wanted to go.

Best to ya!

·
4,554 Posts
I have owned a few of each and would take either one. the BPS has a steel receiver and is a bit heavier than the Mossy. the safety to me is in the IDEAL position on both and they both fit me ok. I like the botom ejection of the BPS when hunting in close quarters but I like the pattterns that The 835 prints with factory chokes better. As always go with the one that you shoot the best, Fit means a lot in both comfort and hits on target.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
goose2 said:
You should be ashamed of your self for mentioning Mossberg and Browning in the same post.
Really??? why is that??? I retired my A5 Mag 12 and went to a Mossy 935....no issues....period!!! And throws much better patterns.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Four of five Browning's that I have owned I sold. The one I kept is a BT 99 that I have been shooting trap with forever.
My Mossberg is like a Timex takes a lickin and keeps on ticken a proven game getter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts