Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is the most important thing when it comes to getting ducks to your spread and why. Of course actually having ducks where you hunt is most important, but im talking out of dekes, cover, calling, conditions ect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The most important thing in duck hunting is location location location. If the ducks don't want to be there then you will only get a couple. It don't matter if you have a million deeks out, if they don't want to be there they won't come in.

·
Registered
796 Posts
well, in a heavily pressured area it would be being away from the pressure but still in a habitat where the ducks want to come. Another major factor when hunting in pressure is camoflage. I think camo is the 2nd most important thing to bringing 'em in. Then dekes then shooters ability then calling :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Location is important. If you sit in your backyard you wont shool any ducks.
But it proves that ducks come to many wierd places in dusk.
After location come decoys, you will only get random chances if you dont use decoys. Calls eventually make your chances better.
Still you can select a perfect location and have a perfect spread of decoys. If you MOVE around when the ducks are approaching they wont come any near.

Actually, as a very experienced duckhunter, i would say, that the most important thing is to sit perfectly still and wait until the right moment to start aiming.
Ive seen many inexperinced hunters beginning to move their gun too early and in that way either scare the birds off or miss the best opportunity.
I have also tried, when i was retrieving a dead duck in the decoy spread, that a flock came in, and I got a chance, because I just froze and waited out in the open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.