Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished this decoy today. Should make a nice addition to the spread. Let me know what ya'll think. Always looking to improve.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than the black I had to mix the other colors to get what I was looking for. Keeping it simple you could use grey on the body and stright burnt sienna on the head. The bill is just ultramarine blue toned down with white.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I like it, the head shape is outstanding, and I like the combed look on the body. Do you use a contour foundation or something for texture? I usually paint my decoys sides a little whiter but I like yours as well.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For texture I just lay the paint on heavy then comb it. I use alot of Golden acrylics because they seem to take a comb very well. I laid a lighter coat underneath the combed layer but the camera did ot pick it up well.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the positive comments guys. I should finish up a few more in the next week or so and will try to post some more pics.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryan,

I used a paint comb and combed it while it was still wet. The paint has enough body to hold the pattern as it dries.

·
Registered
363 Posts
very nice. wat type of wood did you use? im having a hard time finding wood that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg. i was looking for some white cedar to cut down myself but i found out its been made illegal to cut in VA for some reason.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This decoy is cork. I use primarily cork and on rare occasions I'll do one out of tupalo. All of my heads are tupalo. Wood has gotten so expensive I have been sticking with cork lately. Since I do not sell any decoys it's all money going out and none coming in to support my habit. With cork I figure I have roughly $7-9 in a body. With tupalo it pushes $15-17. I know the life expectancy on a cork decoy is shorter than wood but I'll work with it for now. Haven't worked much with white cedar other than some minatures. I'm going to a decoy show next week in Ohio and am planning on getting some there for a future project.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would guess about 4 hrs. I tend to get side tracked easily and work on them a little at a time. The heads are the most time consuming to me. I'll spend way to much time working on the eyes and still screw it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.