Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some searching for the population of resident geese in certain states and it seems that NJ has the highest population on the East Coast at approx 98,000 resident geese. Looks like I will be having some fun next year. Just was wondering if anyone had any other information or comments on this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
There a lot of resident canada geese in NJ. It's hard to find an open field to hunt in and getting permission. A lot of farmers lease their land out to hunters. I have hunted for them in the early season, mostly from midday to sunset. It's hard for me to call geese on the water when they just left the water. The other BIG problem is a lot of geese are in parks and they don't like to leave and you can't hunt them there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My experience with the early season was that there were no plowed fields, hardly any grass fields large enough to hunt, and the birds dont seem to move off the corporate and park ponds. I hunted a few days and had one flock stop by. I will say this though, the early birds are duuumb. We shot 5 out of one group and had another circle around to see why his buddies landed without him. He quickly hit the water too! Ended up with this...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not worried about where I am going to hunt them, I have a pretty good place. I was more just amazed that NJ was home to so many resident geese! I have already seen that there are quite a bit that hang around where im hunting this year. Good times are coming!! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.