Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i moved to salinas till nov. for my job. i'll be here for the start of the season. if you guys can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. i got plenty of time to go scout and find places to hunt. so far i've been here 3 days and i here los banos is a good place to go. any info will help me!

·
Registered
613 Posts
had,
The link listed below will get you names and locations of Public Areas for the area you're interested in. Might be worth checking them out during the summer months. Los Banos State WA is east of you over in The Grasslands along with quite a few other state and fed public areas. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of guys in here, from what I've seen, that hunt down there. I don't make it down there very often, and I'd prolly be giving away someone elses top secret info :smile: so I'll bow out on down there.
If you haven't had any success toward hooking up with someone closer to the season that'll put you on some birds down there, and want to travel, we hunt the public areas here in the Suisun Marsh and wouldn't mind sharin some info with someone who'se not gonna be hunting here for long anyway.
You're gonna freeze this summer guy! :yes:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/index.html

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks rel. i am going to be looking in to the los banos area pretty hard its close and thats good. i think i'll have no problems since i got so much time to scout. is the hunting good in the begining? thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
613 Posts
had,
If you're able to get on (pretty crowded). It's usually limits for the first few shoot days if you know the place your on.
Study the reservation application system and use it, ya never know, you might pull one. LOL!

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have never hunted where you wait in a line to get in or a sweat line ive only heard about that stuff. if that is how it is i'll still try it. i just want the chance to get into some birds. today i went to monerey and the whole way from salinas to castrovile i saw mallards in the water next to the fields. it was crazy. at work i see ducks flying off in the distance, i know the potential is here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
First of all welcome! I live in Soquel, just up the coast near Santa Cruz. I have hunted all over the area where you are working for my entire life. If you want close and free and easy with some pretty good duck shooting, the Salinas river mouth just before it hits the ocean is really nice. The best way to hunt it is to drop a boat in at the Hwy 1 bridge and head towards the mouth.. .not far. Set out a couple dozen dekes and you will knock 'em dead.... no one really hunts out there either.

I belong to a club over in the Los Banos area near Gustine. Like everyone says, the refuges are great around there but you will need good reservations or wait in the sweat lines. If you want to shoot a great club, late Oct, early Nov is a real slow time for me, so send me a note and I'll take you out to the club.

There are tons of great ponds around Castroville and Watsonville, but you need to know some of the farmers out there. I don't know if you are working in the produce industry, but if so ask your boss to hook you up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ggc wrote:
I don't know if you are working in the produce industry
yes i am, and i will ask them. thanks for the invite that sounds great, i've seen ads in the paper for renting duck blinds at los banos if it works out i'd like to go. i was just by the bridge you were talking about, i went to moss landing and out past moss landing in the wetlands next to the road i saw lots of ducks. i don't have my boat here, i got everything else just couldn't fit the boat still back in yuma. i herd someone else say you can hunt parts of the salinas river with waders?? i herd others say no way.thanks for your post!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think you could walk down the east side of the river without much problem. You would definitely need a dog, or some other way to get into the river to pick up ducks. The river is deep, so waders won't work except right on shore.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Had-
Welcome to the site! :thumbsup: I live in San Jose and have been hunting over in Banos for 20years in both the clubs and the refuges. Like Worknem and GGC said, if you want to hunt the refuges, you have to try the reservation system. This doesn't mean that you will always get drawn either. Sweat lines are a roll of the dice. Opening day at San Luis Refuge will have 260 numbers trying to get 50 spots. You say that you will only be here until November. Usually things slow way down at the refuges after opening weekend and the next wed. Usually doesn't pickup until Dec. Don't know how much scouting that you can do at the refuges during the off season, but it definately helps to know where to go as it is pretty dark when they let you in. Keep in touch :salude:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks i will have time to scout. mostly i need to get over there to figure out this reservation thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.