Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends, Just signed on to this forum as I am needing a bit of help. I am from Seattle and have only hunted Washington. I am moving to Massachusetts this summer for graduate school. I will be living near Hamilton and the cape anne area. I have no clue how the hunting is out there. I am sure there are many seaducks to be had, but I will be hunting from a canoe, and I like to EAT my birds, fishy tasting scoters are not my ideal. I am mostly a puddleduck hunter and enjoy flooded fields or ponds. I also like to hike or explore to get to areas w/less pressure. Know of any good areas in NW MASS? I am sure y'all will keep your favorite hunts to yourself (as any of us would :) ) But Any info. you could give me would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
A good thing to remember is to check with the state Wildlife division whenever going to a new area or state. They gladly will give you a general overview and usually can point you to areas that you can explore ahead of time. And the local COs can be of help too. Offer to buy them lunch and bring a map book with. Often they will point to areas to scout. :thumbsup:

BTW, welcome to DHC :smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wingmaster- here's the link to the MassWildlife web site- lots of good info, including maps of all the WMA's in the state (includes some info on types of game found in each WMA, although not specific waterfowl species). You may also want to check out the link to the Parker River Refuge web site (aka Plum Island Refuge)- has three areas specifically designated for public waterfowl hunting. I grew up in NE Mass but didn't start hunting until I moved to a different part of the state, so I have yet to hunt those areas myself...yet. Maybe when my folks are down in Florida for the rest of the winter (my mom gets nervous about guns at their place).
Good luck, and welcome to New England!
duckdoc
MassWildlife: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_toc.htm
Parker River Refuge: http://parkerriver.fws.gov/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.