Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a mud motor for my new boat (i got for free). It is a twelve foot flat bottom boat. I have no idea how to even go by finding designs. Please help :help:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I saw a air boat for sale in the back of the outdoor news. It was basically a flat bottom with a fan mounted to an engine. I think that would be the best mud motor you could get.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good idea about the air boat but...

I'm pretty sure that air or jet engines/boats cannot be used on the Freitas units, Klamath or Tule Lake.
Just a heads up.
Good luck with the free boat :thumbsup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bog hog has a kit you can put together but I have heard it is junk. Some of the mm cos. will sell you a frame but you won't save any $ going that way. Best bet would be to check out pics of long tails and try and copy one of them.

The problem is that it will probably cost you just as much to build it yourself (due to trial and error) than it would be to just buy a new one. I would just buy a used LT because it will cost probably just as much as buying the engine if you were to build your own and those engines can last a long long time if maintained. Your major costs building it yourself are going to come from the cost of an engine as well as the cost of a prop - both of which you can't build yourself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As speczilla said, not really worth it unless you have a motor layin around along with some scrap steel.

As far as I'm concerned too... a 12 footer is to small for the weight of a decent sized mud motor.

Personally with a 12 footer, i would find a cheap outboard and not worry about it. best of luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
How about a weed wacker with a prop mounted on it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I DO have a Kohler motor from an out door vaccum. it is approximatly ten horse. Prtty loud but it has the shaft on the side. I also have a motor from a roto tiller. which one should i use?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would use the motor that weighs the least. You are not going to go fast at all in that boat. So weight will be a huge factor. IMO that is a one man boat and with a 10hp motor the only place that I would take that boat and motor would be places with no current, no tide, and that are not that deep.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
drake~slayer said:
I CANNOT believe that a weed eater would push even a small boat with 2 guys a dog and a bunch of deeks. Will it?
I was joking :wink:

I think you need to run a real motor. They sell jet kits for outboards also. Either that or you need to buy a mud motor, but like other people said your boat isn't really big enough for that. Where do you plan on going with this thing.

http://www.outboardjets.com/

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea i was worried about the size of the boat. I plan on taking it to Tule lake and lower Klamath. I dont need to go fast . Just need a motor that will Keep me moving. Electric motors are to under powered. believe me i tried this past season. ended up doing a lot of paddeling.
wont be doing that again. Maybe i should just seel both of my twelve footers and get something a bit bigger.

·
Registered
307 Posts
you asked if a weed eater would work........
see for yourself.......

part 2......

the problem was that the prop was too flat
causing the boat only to spin.....
if it had more bite, it may have worked....

heres another one that did work......
its just tooooooo slooooow......

and if you thought only a mud motor could go into
the bad areas.....see this video
yamaha 25 doing the impossible....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.