Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shed hunted before, with mediocre success, but then I read the article in Outdoor Life. I saw that OL had an internet article on how to teach your dog to find sheds for you. I still haven't read it, but I thought it would be fun to get my pup out w/ me and walk through the woods. I found one shed myself then placed it in a couple spots and told him to fetch it up. I let him follow my scent to the location. Then I started covering the shed antler with leaves and sending him farther to find it. He got pretty good, but I know I was cheating. Hey, that's how they learn right? Well, next thing I know, my pup was chewing on another shed while I was still busting brush. I was proud of him. You guys let your dogs do other things with you?

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing with Morel Mushrooms. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
We've got so much snow on the ground I probably won't get out lookin' for sheds until late April.
Man, we're gettin' buried alive this winter. It's snowing as I type this post. :no:
We've got another 2' since this pic was taken.

I'm ready for spring.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gracious Bry. That's a lot of snow. At least once it melts and you are able to get out and look, the sheds should stand out like a sore thumb.

Crackerd, you're finding bigger sheds than us haha. But I think you're right. It's a new game your dog "created." I thought it would be a great way to spend some time w/ my pup. We're going this weekend.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah, probably bigger fish too

then again, haven't been to Nags Head in a while.

But
...thought it would be a great way to spend some time w/ my pup
is bull's-eye. It's all about letting them be dogs and behave as dogs. Especially when the "hunt" (or "fish") follows a retriever training session.

MG

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Is that an owl? We can't even touch a dead owl in NY it's very illegal. My dog used to swim out and try to retrieve bullheads when we were fishing in the spring until it got a horn in it's mouth. It no longer does that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.