Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8 year old black lab. He has started losing his hair around his tail/rear area. I have put all sorts of store bought things to put on him and nothing seems to work. Have any of your dogs started losing hair and if so how did you correct this problem? I have had him to the vet as well and they just put the same thing on him as I do really. I looked at the ingredients of the two medications and they contained the same ingredients. I have been using Happy Jack skin balm. It seems to work the best. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
does it look like a hot spot or like old man going bald, if it looks like an old dudes head I caint help ya, maybe some rogain, if it looks like a hot spot don't worry, I'd ask the vet to give him a hydrocortizone shot, they work, I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place, you can put that crap on topicly but it works way better in a shot, put some oil in his food too, that will help a little, he might be alergic to something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't hesitate to have some bloodwork done if it turns out not to be a hotspot. Several things can cause baldness that are easily treatable, but not obvious till the blood work comes back. My AWS suffered from hypothyroidism for a year (with her previous owner mind you) before the problem was discovered. Was bald as an egg save for her ears and top of head. Even now her belly and strips on her haunches are not 100% fully furred.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have changed your dog's food lately? If so try changing it again because it may be alergic to that or could be alergic to something new at home. You can also try bathing your dog in some type of oatmeal shampoo. Make sure to check your dog for fleas because the fleas will hang around the rear end and your dog might be chewing on that area. You may also speak to the vet and possibly get some type of steroid to treat the problem like was suggested by someone else.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Fiances dog did the same thing . my dog a mange and we used mitaban on both of them and the hair came back. There is now an oral form of mitaban that works better then the dip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 7 year old golden lost her fur on and around her tail. nothing worked so we had the vet check, did a blood test and found a low thyriod level's, he perscribed some pill's 6 week's later all fur back and fuller than ever.

Lou

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Possibilities are too numerous to treat with home remedies. These could range from either demodectic mange, sarcoptic mange, allergies and much more. TAKE THE DOG TO A VET!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.