Duck Hunting Forum banner

My migration

761 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  RNT_MAN 
#1 ·
My daughter has asked me to move to the Thomasville area after I retire in August. I told her it was a pretty good proposition, but wanted to find out about duck/goose hunting before I committed.

Where I am in Illinois most of my hunting is done on the backwaters and islands on the Mississippi. The blind sites are determined by the DNR, and allocated by drawing for a two year period. There are also area of the river that are open hunting areas, from blind boats.

So my question, how does it work in North Carolina, around the Thomasville area? Are there areas open to public hunting, and if so how much? Or should I be looking for an area farther away from Thomasville?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
The best days around here are always the opening days, after then the birds are really hard to come by. You will have to scout way more than you will hunt most likely to find a few birds. I have only had a hand full of good hunts this year and I have spent more time on the water than ever. If you do move down good luck and be ready for the circus of folks fighting for the few hunting areas around here. But as QW'er said the coast is always the best here in NC.

Redhead

#5 ·
Unless you're a Native from the coast..good luck establishing a seasonal place to hunt there!! Most of them have the coast locked up with blinds even if they don't use them they put em there to keep others away!! You can of course pay one of the guides there to take you hunting!!(which every guide on the outer banks is terrific) There are some spots not hunted as much around Manteo and up towards Corolla but couldn't tell you what flies through those areas I imagine the same types of birds redheads, pintails, bluebills, and so on...you have to do alot of scouting to figure out the flyways on the coast..typically if you find evidence of an old blind stand there is a good reason one was put there..The Park service does offer a draw for I blinds located above pea Island If you want to do some killer hunting look into that!! not many people know about it and I hardly ever see hunters using the blinds when I drive up the beach...however these are fantastic places to hunt on any day of the season..just a little advice hope it'll help someone..RT

#6 ·
Ducks are where you find them man! There is some good hunting here and there just gotta work hard to find it and when you do rest assure your not the only one but it's gonna be a complete dissapointment from the mississippi river i assure ya! Too be completely honest, i've lived in davidson county(where thomasville is) for the past 12 years and this is THE CRAPHOLE of ALL creation! Hope you enjoy backwards people that are ignorant cause that's all that's here! Best of luck to ya though! If ya ever have a question about the surround area pm me! Too those of you in davidson county who aren't like what i just described no offense!

#7 ·
I am from southern Illinois and stationed at Fort Bragg........the only way I would move to NC is if you are looking to quit duck hunting. I have 18 months left then I'm heading back to the cornfields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.