Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been wanting a drake whistle for some time, but don't really want the ones i see on the shelves in the local stores. (the 100 in 1 do it all whistles)

i have an awesome whistle that i use for widgeon and pintail, but it doesn't have the drake mallard capability.

any ideas for me on this simple problem?

-Ed

· Registered
189 Posts
I've never seen a widgeon whistle that you caint use for as a drake whistle?? I don't even use one, once in a while I use my mouth, or my dog whistle wich I took the pee out off, and say zzzzzz as a blow through it or my whistle, I can do it best with my mouth, I've never notice them flare when I do it but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

· Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the widgeon whistle i use is a special whistle that is, believe it or not, made from two high brass 12ga shot shells joined together with a mouth piece attached. it looks like any whistle that you might see a coach for a sports team blowing..but it mimicks a widgeon dead on.

it is made locally by a guy who has hunted the area for many many years....it is dubbed the "sauvie island whistle". however, it is not a multipurpose whistle like so many others on the general market.

i was hoping to find a good high-end drake whistle to add the the lanyard.

· Registered
613 Posts
My son gets a real good drake out of the Wingsetter. Now and then he'll switch to a Maurillo and it does fine also. I'm stuck in the past and use an Olt with the slide, so worn I can't even read the model#. LOL!
Sometimes having a drake call, and knowing how to use one, can make your day late in the season.
Good luck on your quest.

Rel Atwood

· Registered
887 Posts
Buck Gardner's whistle makes a GREAT drake mallard, among others. Got one on my collar. Can't go wrong with their products.
:salude:

· Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i believe ya...unfortunately, our wally world never has anything i need. :pissed:

it is easier to just take a trip over to sportsmans...though i'll walk in for a 6 dollar drake whistle and 500 dollars later i'll be trying to tell my wife why we have to eat top ramen for the next month because of the great deal on decoys, ammo, waders, and calls i just got. :toofunny:

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Swamp Puppy said:
i believe ya...unfortunately, our wally world never has anything i need. :pissed:

it is easier to just take a trip over to sportsmans...though i'll walk in for a 6 dollar drake whistle and 500 dollars later i'll be trying to tell my wife why we have to eat top ramen for the next month because of the great deal on decoys, ammo, waders, and calls i just got. :toofunny:
isn't that the truth. it's funny cause i hear people all of the time getting good stuff there but they NEVER have anything i am looking for... :pissed:

· Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they have probably the best selection of "over the counter" guns around here. not to mention a good selection of (usable) shotgun shells.

personally, i get most of my stuff at GI Joes. their prices are usually better and i can find most things i need. (except calls)

· Registered
2,318 Posts
swamp, i forgot to mention. SGC makes a shotgun shell whistle that can be used for mallards, pintails, etc. i have to watch the video to remember the name. i will try and get it for you tomorrow.

· Registered
362 Posts
Duck Commander mallard drake call is the best in my opinion. $10 and works AWESOME. along with doing all the other wistles, it is great and is the size of a normal call so is good on the lanyard 2.
just my .02
Robberwood

· Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shrpshtr said:
swamp, i forgot to mention. SGC makes a shotgun shell whistle that can be used for mallards, pintails, etc. i have to watch the video to remember the name. i will try and get it for you tomorrow.
thanks, let me know if you find it.

i would just like to mention that i know it may seem silly to some that i would bother to look for recommendations on a 5 dollar whistle that you can probably find at K-Mart, but let me explain.

i hunt in the fog ALOT. and i mean thick, nasty, soupy fog. when the fog gets nasty (our fog is a "low" fog btw) i like to stand by the blind and continue to blow a variety of calls imitating a raft of ducks on the water. so, i mix up a lot of quacks, chuckles, widgeon whistles, chirps, chatters, bleeps, blurbs, etc. ;) the birds come dropping in and don't know what hit them until...well, it hits them. lol.

what i don't have is a good drake whistle. i need something with a bit of volume and a good clean sound.

· Registered
380 Posts
I have the Morhen or Morehen Whistle, Can't remember the Exact name orf it!

They are Advertised in Wing Supply alot and used to be in Herter's

You can use it for Teal, Wigeon, Drake Mallard, Pintail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.