Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
A good coat should have Goretex or a similar waterproofing in it so you stay dry.

You will need to consider for what temps you will use it too. The colder the temps, the more insulation you will need in the coat. Consider a zip out liner coat for more versitility.

As for camo pattern--that will be determined by the type of cover you will be hunting in. In a field with light grass, Fall Flight is good. But if in timber hunts, a dark pattern is in order. Or maybe a camo pattern in between like Shodow Grass. It all depends. It is better to be lighter in color in most background conditions, as a darker "blob" (that is what you look like at 300 yds) will stick out more than a lighter colored blob. Principly this is due to the shadow on 1 side of you.

Being the season is done or almost done, some season end specials should be had in the nest month or 2.

Go to a couple of good stores and ask questions--if the sales person does not know--ask for one that does have the answers to the specific brands and styles that they carry. Have him educate yourself. Do not make snap decisions that day. Come back a few days later after you have evaluated what was siad at a couple or more stores, then make a decision.
Buy informed so you make educated decisions as a good coat and maybe bibs will last you many years if properly taken care of, as it is an investment IMHO. Dropping $400 for a caot and bibs is no small amount of change for most guys. Also remember that the mark up on clothing is absurd, often retail cost is 400% more than their cost. Meaning they pay $50 and sell it for $200. So even at 1/2 off of retail, they are making $50.

good luck. :thumbsup:

BTW, welcome to DHC. If you wanted to, you could post a brief Bio of yourself on the Honey Hole in the Intro of newcomers Sticky.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Try and find something local. Try it on, how much clothing do you layer when your hunting? I ordered through Cabelas and didn't like what I ordered. I didn't fit me right. I was able to send it back and ended up purchasing a Duck Commander. It took about 4 weeks but I finally got what I liked. There are many different jackets and alot of different prices. I must agree to make sure you have the original GORTEX.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
all excellent tid bits above! as mentioned, get what works best in your area...I have many different patterns and weights depending upon the temps and other conditions. For a newbie, you are probably best served by a 4 in1 type jacket (I prefer wading jackets) since you can make adjustments as necessary for protection - and I would also go along wiyth a waterproof shell. The tough thing is that to get a quality jacket with such features you are looking at almost $200....but it is worth it!!!! I went the route for years on the inexpensive end and was never satisfied. Over the years, just add different patterns of camo and maybe a 3/4 parka etc. Take care of what you do get and it willast for many years - good luck and lastly.....since the season is almost kapoot, wait for clearance sales....last April I picked up a new $150 jacket for only $49 at ***** and a shell pullover that was $49 for $15.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Get one of the Columbia Omni-Tec Parkas, either the Quad or the Widgeon, you can get them from Cabelas, or your local hunting store.
Later,
SR

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I bought a Herters Fowl weather 4n1 for under $100 shipped from Cabelas, I think they normally sell for around $150. It is 100% waterproof and has the zip out liner. I really liked this coat, it kept me warm and dry all season. It has neoprene cuffs and I could reach into the water and my arm wouldn't even get wet...

I do not know how many seasons it will give me, but I was impressed for $100...

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.