Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK MY YELLOW LAB IS ABOUT 10 TO 12 MONTHS OLD I JUST RESENTLY GOT INTO DUCK HUNTING AND I THINK SHE WOULD BE A GOOD HUNTING DOG BUT IVE BEEN TOLD SHE MIGHT BE TO OLD TO TRAIN

ALSO I HAVE GOT HER TO SIT HEAL BUT SHE WONT FOLLOW THE CAMMAND DOWN AND SHE WONT FETCH WAT WOULD BE A GOOD WORD TO SAY TO GET HER TO FETCH

I SURE WOULD APRICATE REPLYS

·
Administrator
42,446 Posts
Yes - follow Goosehunterdogs advice for sure.

As far as rude guys - - first, yes...feel free to challenge the all caps posting. In fact, send the forum mod a PM and ask their thought.

Secondly, I was not rude. Asking people to read all capitilzation, without puncuation is wrong. If you are too lazy to put some effort into the question you have - you don't deserve effort back (just my humble opinion).

This is a waterfowler site - not an IM chat box.

The best advice I will ever give you apparently is that learning how to ask a question will get you better answers. Just how it works.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sure well in my opinion it was rude, and if we are correcting everyone why don't you learn how to spell!!!

Second it seems to me that you use this as chat only, just trying to post as much as possible. Keep posting you're cool!! :mad:

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Alright Kiddies,,, you're gonna get the Disciplinarian out here.

HNTFSH is right though,,,, Caps are RUDE ! :no:

·
Administrator
42,446 Posts
LUV2DUChunt said:
Sure well in my opinion it was rude, and if we are correcting everyone why don't you learn how to spell!!!

Second it seems to me that you use this as chat only, just trying to post as much as possible. Keep posting you're cool!! :mad:
Step away from the airplane glue son.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I personally like to wait to start training dogs until they are older, like 9 months to a year. This is not to say you can't train a puppy, but an older dog can take a little more pressure as long as it is interested in retrieving. I aquired my latest dog about a year and a half ago, and I got her at ten months old from a friend who was getting a divorce, and the dog had no formal training at ten months. She had a lot of interest in retreiving, so I just started throwing the dummy about 20 minutes a day for a few weeks, then took her out in the woods and I would fire some .22 rounds from a pistol while I threw the dummy. The dog has some great genetics, and has turned out to be a great hunting dog. A 12 month old dog will do just fine as long as it has a lot of interest. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of dogs with potential not do so good because of the owner/trainer putting too much pressure on the dog at too young of an age. When you are working your dog, watch it carefully, and the second it starts to lose interest in the training session, end the session and try again the next day. Even a really willing and interested dog can burn out if you push it too hard early on. GK

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ok Riverrat you got me to bite. Hope DHunting10 does not mind that I changed the wording a bit on his initial post.

DHUNTING10 said:
Ok My yellow lab is about 10 to 12 months old and I just recently got into duck hunting. I think she would be a good hunting dog but I have been told she might be to old to train.
Your dog is not to old to train and if you get on a program of solid obedience first that would be advisable. For obedience work you will need to work on heel, come, sit and extended stay. For come and sit I would whistle train at the same time. Say the command sit - one loud blast on the whistle at the same time, for come say come and two or three rapid whistles to come in. you should be doing most of your obedience training on short lead, then longer lead then a long line before moving on. Do a search on cooter and you will find lots of good instructions on progression through obedience. Remember to praise each time the command is done right.

DHUNTING10 said:
Also I have got her to sit heel but she will not follow the command for down
Does this mean she does not know a down command? If this is the case one hand on the collar under the chin say down and pull the dog forward and down. Or say down and have a small treat that you hold down at the ground level between the dogs front feet and move it forward along the ground to get the dog down. Remember to praise when the command is done right. At one training session I attended the instructor said that a dog has to repeat a drill hundreds of times before it is fully trained - so do not give up early.

DHUNTING10 said:
and she will not fetch what would be a good word to say to get her to fetch
As this is the only dog you are training I would not use the dogs name to send on a retrieve. Reason for this is most likely you use the dogs name to call it in or to get its attention when it is doing something wrong.

I would train to use "fetch" or "take it" as the send command. if you want to use something else it does not matter to the dog as long as you are consistent.

Keep in mind it takes time to train a hunting dog and in your case it sounds like your dog has not been on birds and has not been exposed as a puppy to fun retrieves this puts his learning curve at a harder level.

You should check this site for reading information and get a better idea on how far you want to take your training.

http://www.carmodybuilders.com/retrieve ... 0info.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.