Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year 2 month black lab need help makin him a duck dog. #1 how do i break gun shy?#2 he does fetch but he won't fetch a duck in deep water? Im 11 years old i have killed 68 ducks lost 5 ducks two banded woodducks in one day.Hopping somebody can help me with my dog if you can thanks. Ely Sherman

·
Administrator
42,446 Posts
Ely,

Welcome to the forum. Have you read any retriever training books yet? I like Wolters books for early training and the fact they are usually found at a public library. Waterdog and Gundog being two common titles at the libraries.

I can't post them now but there are also some good internet sites that give training ideas.

Don't shoot around your dog till you cure that gunshy issue. It may also help if you can describe that problem in a reply (what makes you think the lab is gunshy).

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Ely,
Welcome to DHC...
Here is a link to a lot of dog training information, including Gunshyness issues.
Good job on killin' 68 ducks at the age of 11, and 2 bands !
Save this link to your Favorites, or bookmark it. There is a LOT of good info here.
http://www.carmodybuilders.com/retrieve ... 0info.html

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ely - welcome to the site there are some great folks here. Sounds like you do a great job on the ducks. Can you give some more information on your two questions.

Gunshy -- how gunshy is your dog? runs and hides when a gun goes off? or sits off to the side away from you? Does your dog retrieve now for you when you are hunting or is it afraid to go due to the gun?

Deep Water Retrieving -- does the dog swim or will only go in as far as it can walk or wade so its feet are always on bottom? -- or -- does this occur when the dog has to swim out towards open water that the other shore is a long ways away?

Thanks and welcome to the board

Hugh

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he dont like to swim much. when a gun goes off he goes off to the side and lays down. he just started after i would bring a duck back from the pond and try to grab it.if I would throw it he would go and get it and bring it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.