Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of people simulating cripples with dokken training dummys with a string. Does anybody know how to do this, and where you attatch the string? Because i have one of their mallard dummys. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wouldnt that just pull the dummy in?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Cabelas boy-

One way you can do this is put a weight on the bottom with a release swivel so when the dogs grabs it the dummy releases from the weight and they can bring it back to you. Are you trying to teach your dog to chase ducks or to actually go after the water for them?

Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
I put a big weight like an anchor in some semi shallow water, were I could get it back, tied a check cord to the dummy, ran it through the wieght and held it, you can pull on it and make it move, or pull it into the water a couple feet, make your dog dive to get it or just let him see it move on top the water, then when he gets it, let go of the check cord so he can bring it back, is that what your talking about??

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
phillipstd- yep that would be it. They make a quick release type swivel that will give way when your dog gets it you can add to it. With a little float bouy type thing so you don' thave to reach down in the water everytime to get it back. I will post pics this summer when I do my setup.

Mike

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
personally, i don't see a need for it to dive underwater. if a duck does this is real life, it isn't likely to come up anywhere near where the dog can get it. i think simulating a cripple is good though. for getting a dog to reach into the water to grab something i just work a bumper (weighted) in shallow water. it's not often that a dog will need to submerse his head to retrieve something though so i don't spend a lot of time doing this.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think it is more for fun than anything. My dog will lunge under the water to get the duck as it is going to dive under water. This saves more time and gets my dog back in the blind faster--He doesnt waste so much time swimming in circles waiting for the duck to pop back up. Instead he will lunche as he gets close and come up with the duck. This puts the dog back in the blind faster which equates to more dead ducks.

At least its how I look at it. I think it helps a little, you will notice it when you hunt with another dog that swims circles why your dog will simply grab the duck and come back.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I hae seen downrigger release clips used. It has a swivel on both sides and a clip in the middle that you can tighten or loosen the tension on.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
98ramtough said:
I think it is more for fun than anything. My dog will lunge under the water to get the duck as it is going to dive under water. This saves more time and gets my dog back in the blind faster--He doesnt waste so much time swimming in circles waiting for the duck to pop back up. Instead he will lunche as he gets close and come up with the duck. This puts the dog back in the blind faster which equates to more dead ducks.

At least its how I look at it. I think it helps a little, you will notice it when you hunt with another dog that swims circles why your dog will simply grab the duck and come back.
good point. i guess i took it for granted that my dog lunges at ducks on his own. i know exactly what you mean about dogs swimming in circles and it is very annoying. anyway, thanks for that perspective!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
shrp- a lot of dogs just seem to pick it up on their own. Some dogs don't. I just think its fun to go out to the beach and set it up and drink beer and work the dog. We fill up tennis balls with sand and see how far we can get the dogs to grab them off the bottom too :salude:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey thanx guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.