Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a foiles meat grinder goose call and am having a little trouble figuring out the correct way to use it. It seems like it isnt a clucker and I haven't been able to make the full call work with it if anyone can give me some tips that would be great

·
Registered
729 Posts
Question 1: are you familiar with short reeds.

Question 2: was it shipped to you, if so it may have been bumped around and the reed may have slipped.

I have blown the Meat Grinder, the call does sound good.
You may need to have it tuned.

Question 3: Do you have problems making some sounds or all the sounds of a goose. Examples (Greeting, comeback, lay down,etc..)

Let me know more specifics and I will help you the best I can.

You will love the call after you learn it.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
i recommend getting the Shawn Stahl Honker Talk video

say guuuuuu--iiiiittttttt into the call

the guuuuu part- use some voice into it( saying guuu with like a humming felling and sound

the iiiiiittt- part should have no voice in it, and should sound like you are blowing air out of your mouth very rapidly.- almost sounds like "whhhiiip"

hold the call between your thumb and index finger- then let the rest of the fingers fall down around the call- and stick your other index finger through your resting fingers wrapped around the insert.

ex- the opening out of the insert created by your resting fingers around the insert should be no bigger than your index finger of the hand not holding the call.

next - place your other hand- thumb to thumb with the hand holding the call- and have the non holding hand fingers touch the middle knuckles of the fingers holding the call

the knuckles of the hand holding the call should all be lined up and pointed strait up

hope this helps some- its hand to explain in writing- i recommend the shawn stahl video

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With this call i have had trouble with all of them. It has to be the most difficult call i have ever owned to blow just cant quite get the right sound out of it cant get the long sound out of it solid for any length of time and the short wit sound never sounds right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it might need to be tuned then

take apart the ends of the call and check the reed- push it inward and the tip of the reed should barely clear the tone board - you can also tune it the way you want- pull the reed away from the tip of the tone hole- for higher sounds- and do the opposite for lower sounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.