Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we killed some ducks today on Ky lake but a bunch of mallerds flared up though. We had set the decoys in the j shape in a bay they would cup ther wings and got about 10 yards from shooting distence when they would gain altitude and fly away. Any suggestions

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude im talkin about hunting decoys and we were very stil ok IM NOT TALKIN ABOUT MY HUNTING BLIND

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go out to where the ducks were flaring and look back at your setup.

If you see anything that looks out of place, the ducks surely will.

Try also moving your decoys at least 10 yards closer to you.....mallards almost always land short of the decoys anyway....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Too many factors to diagnose a good cause. COuld be they were seeing you even if you were still. Facemasks and gloves for everybody? Are the birds call shy? Maybe the decoys didn't look right. We went through 11 different theories to find our problem yesterday morning. Even if the ducks are still flying go out and change stuff around. If they weren't commiting before, then it does no harm and go move stuff.

It is late season here, what about there? Lots of pressure? Just keep trying different stuff when you're out there. Eventually something will work. Finding that one thing comes with experience. I have hunted these things 10 years and sometimes they make you so mad you just want to give up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had gloves on and I was behind a cedar tree and the others were on the ground weirin face masks. we sat them in a J-hook

·
Registered
81 Posts
Next time set out 2 separate groups, leaving a landing spot in between them..........
the others were on the ground weirin face masks.
What kind of cover were they hiding in?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Rig a jerk string, or, throw rocks to add waves...only when they're goin away. Sometimes they will bust your decoys on still or sunny days. Y'all have a nice day. :salude:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Just cause it worked before doesn't mean it will work that time. Things change and birds change. I imagine it is late in the season there like it is here. Birds figure out the game pretty quick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.