Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old chocolate lab. My first dog. He's done great so far this season. He loves hunting. Sometimes I have a hard time getting him to acknowledge me when I give him a command in the field. I know he's just a pup, and his attention span isn't that great, but it can get frustrating.

With that being said, a few hunters have told me to get the dog neutered. They say he will listen a lot more, and will calm down a little. I have also heard the argument that neutered dogs can become much less aggressive with their retrieving drive. I've heard of hunting dogs being ruined after being nuetered.

I don't plan on breeding him, so that is not an issue for me. I'd like to hear some thoughts, maybe experiences with hunting dogs being nuetered. Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
E-collar. He knows when he has to listen and when he doesn't. I hope my wife doesn't get some advice to snip my nads just because I don't listen to her half the time. That is a pretty extreme measure with no guarantee for results.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My advise, if you are not going to breed the dog, get him fixed. My male is fixed and has TONS of drive, and still tons of energy. The only reason I say to get dogs fixed if your not planning to breed is you don't have to worry about the dog reproducing unwantingly.....

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you want to get the dog fixed because you don't want to breed it, fine. I'm all for preventing unwanted litters of pot lickers. But do not do it with the sole expectation of his obedience getting better. That is what I was saying. If the dog doesn't listen in the field, then his obedience is not solid. It may be okay, but it isn't solid.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I not only hunt my dogs, but I work for a vet as well. The old saying that if you neuter or spay a dog, it will not hunt is just an old wives tale. Many people that spay or neuter a dog, and then dont hunt it, yes the dog will become fat and lazy. However, if you do not spay or neuter, as they age there is great risk of serious health problems. If you are not going to breed, spay or neuter, but continue hunting, and by all means give all dogs regular exercise, even outside of hunting season. One further note, if you spay or neuter, put your dog on a reduced fat dog food right away. Feed them for the weight you want them to be according to the manufacturers label instructions. This will help prevent them from becoming over weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.