Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Pros: Eliminates development of testicular tumor. Reduces the risk of pet overpopulation if the dog gets out of the yard.

Cons: Can't be a breeding dog (probably not a concern because if you had the intent of breeding you would already be running him in field trials and getting the joints certified, etc. to make sure that he is a worthy breeding candidate)

·
Registered
101 Posts
2 tollers said:
There was a discussion not that long ago on this with some good information -- check

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Thanks for the post...
:thumbsup:

I had "heard" some of those considerations before but had not seen them published. I'll be having this discussion with our Vet when Sophie and I make our first "puppy check-up" this Wednesday. I have always felt it is better to wait "a while" before spaying a dog but was uncertain of a time frame or having any statistical facts to back up my "feeling".

Bottom line... each pet owner needs to have facts to look at and weigh the pluses and minuses for themselves. The two references listed in the post will help me decide whether to and if so, when to. My discussion with the Vet (having printed the two articles for his opinion as well) will help me make a final decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.