Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I was just wandering if anyone else is about to lose their mind if they can't go out and hunt some ducks or geese. Fishing just isn't cutting it. The other day my 1 year old Lab Jager and i were out fishing along the bank at a local lake. When out of no where I hear a couple quacks and what do you know from around a bend of trees comes a couple of mallards flying low and slow and land on the ground about 40 feet from me and the dog. Upon further inspection, both ducks are banded and are quite possibly some of the biggest mallards i have ever seen!!!! After cussing for a while and holding the dog back from "Doing his job and gettin them birds!" I was forced to pack up and leave and move to another spot cause it was killing me. Just wandering if anyone else is going stir crazy too. Have a good one!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yep, I know I get the sameway. We bring duck and goose calls in the boat and call all day when we are fishing. It drives off people and they don't fish too close to us. It sucks turning a flock of geese and sitting there with our pole in your hands. (no pun intended)

Mike :salude:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
you don't even know how right you are. i went fishing at a local lake (wateree for the SC locals) about 10 days ago and i swear i probably saw 3 or 4 hundred mallards. they were everywhere. probably 3 or 4 times that many black ducks. i have NEVER seen that many ducks in all of SC. the mallards were steady quacking too... :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

the area i was fishing was a waterfowl refuge but i know a couple of spots withing a few hundred yards from there they would be legal. those ducks just aren't here during the season. :pissed:

·
Registered
796 Posts
the same thing happened to me just the other day. No refuge, no boat docks, nothin. I just plain 'ole called 'em in and they stuck around. Besides the fact that they were ready to mate.
[siteimg]431[/siteimg]
[siteimg]432[/siteimg]
[siteimg]433[/siteimg]
[siteimg]434[/siteimg]
[siteimg]435[/siteimg]
[siteimg]436[/siteimg]
[siteimg]437[/siteimg]
Hope ya likes 'em

·
Registered
450 Posts
man big ol' fat mallards with bands flying slow and landing right in front of you... i might need therapy after that. i love to see ducks in the wild but i always have an empty feeling without the ol' shotgun in my hands.

·
Registered
796 Posts
ye, is there any way to post video on here? i have a video and that close one kind of sprung up trying to get in the boat. you can hear my dad in the background sayin, "can i shoot now?" :toofunny: n e ways that made our day more so than the fish that we didn't catch.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You Southern Boys and Your Mallards! UGGG!

Come on up here and I'll let you shoot all them Chit Ducks you want! :mrgreen:

Them Mallards are some STUPID Ducks when it comes to Breeding Season.....We have them in the Back yard now, If I had a Way to take a picture and post it, most likely, you all from the south would be Drooling on your Computer Screen :yes: We got hit with that rain last weekend and it created a little pond in the Back Yard. My Daughter got a Leason on Sunday and Monday on the "Birds and the Bees"
Them Drake Mallrds had the Wife and I explaining it all for her to understand! :laughing:

I get alittle up set and want to Chuck Rocks at the Woodies when they come Zippin in when I'm on the Trout Streams!

I try not to Fish Much any more....Gets my Blood Preasure up cause I can't Wack them Stupid Ducks that fly in and set down and look for a hand out!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Woody I've had Mallards do the same thing. I had a hen nest right next to the front porch at the house. I also know what you mean about ducks flying in for handouts. My family has a house on a lake and when we are out in our boat anchored somewhere they drop in and do some begging. They remind me of dogs that get table scraps around a dinner table.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
frazier: thanks for the pics. Them's dang nice ducks.
Woody: I hear ya. Here in New Castle the Neshannock Creek runs right through the downtown. The other night on the way to the gun club (how appropriate) I saw a mallard breeding pair fly right over some buildings & in front of my car in shotgun range.
& that's not all. A threesome of geese keep flying right over the club's five - stand every night @ 5:30 - 6:00 - again, in easy gunning range. Temptation, to test our faith & strength - that's how I make myself feel better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.