Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked to this guy a couple times over the past few months. He said this was coming and looks like it is finally here. It is 14-15 g/cm3. It is basically hevi shot with a little more tungsten and a little less nickel and iron. If you reload hevi shot, you've seen prices at over $20/lb even at Natchez. This would be better ballistically and about the same price.

http://www.tungsten-spheres.com/tungsten_shot.html

I'm sure this is a little bit harder than hevi shot, but not as hard as TSS, so if anyone gets a little and loads up with hevi shot recipes I'd love to here how they do.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
It wouldn't be exactly safe to just load it with hevi-shot recipes. And it sounds like it'd be even harder than hevi-shot.

Natchez has been selling what they had left in stock for $11/lb.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You haven't been to Natchez lately? They still have some bigger shot sizes at clearance for $109/10lbs, but they have new 4, 5, 6, and 7 shot listed at over $200/10lbs. It just went up a couple days ago from $168/10lbs.

To be clear, I do not condone substituting this shot for heavy shot in reloading data. I think that would be a good place to start. If I were going to try some reloading, I'd drop the powder charge a couple of grains and work up to about 1200 ft/s max velocity and do it with a gun that I didn't mind scratching the barrel. After many rounds and closely inspecting wads and barrels, I might use this in some of my "good" guns.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Of course you could use hevi shot recipes for this stuff,
as long as the same overall weight payload was used.
there isn't going to be any appreciable difference in the internal ballistics between the two.
ohsay,how do you get harder than hevi shot?
that's like comparing real dang hard, to real dern hard.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Pressures will be different with harder and more dense shot. Guaranteed. You can't just load hevi-shot with steel recipes can you? Same reasons apply.

Well I know tungsten super shot tears through mylar a LOT easier than standard hevi. This is about halfway in between it sounds like, so I'd definitely have less confidence in the mylar protecting my barrels from abuse.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you look at the latest Federal Catalog,
they have a picture of their 15cc high density shot,
and it looks exactly like the spheres shot in the link,
has the same band around it and everything,
i'd imagine that outfit is also providing ATK with their high density shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.