Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into getting a 22.mag but dont no what to go with im leaning towards a savage or a marlin but open to any suggestions

thank you in advance

·
4,554 Posts
I have had a couple of 22 mags and now have a 17hmr, I would not try to stear anyone to the 17hmr but I like it.

I perfer the Marlins but My dad has the Savage (in 17hmr) and the accruacy it great just like the Marlin. He takes out preditors at 135 yards (distance from house to pond) with no problem at all.

Either of your choices would be good I think. the marlin is a bit smoother but I think the Savage is a bit less money.

I have noticed that the 22 mag tends to have better penetration than the 17 but the 17 (in my testing) is much more accurate.

now some are making the tipped ammo for the 22mag, I might have to try one again soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I never shot a .17 before but I used to have a Marlin 22 mag. It had the heavy barrel, it was a tack driver out to 100 yards. I have killed groundhogs out to 150 yards. Either way they're alot of fun to shoot and the ammo is a lot cheaper than the high powered varmint guns. Good luck. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a savage with the thumb hole stock. It is a nice gun, but the balance is not quite right in the gun in the offhand position. If you are using it to shoot yotes, or target from a rest, I would definitely recommend it, but offhand it is tough to hold groups. -For a long time I thought it was just me, but I had some guys at the range tell me the same thing when they gave the gun a whirl.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I really like the Savage guns, all of them, rimfire or centerfire. They have all been extemely accurate and 100% dependable. Now that they make the .22 mag in pointed bullets, thats what I would buy. Last time I looked the 17 shells were quite a bit more expensive than the 22 mag. I also think the 22 mag is a better game killer than a 17. I know I have taken some big critters with mine. A friend of mine just bought the Savage in 17 and the wind was playing havoc with it at 100 yards.

·
Registered
917 Posts
A friend of mine just bought the Savage in 17 and the wind was playing havoc with it at 100 yards.
This is true of any .17

As to the cost of ammunition, from what I hear, all of the 17 loads (which all cost $18-$19) are high quality. The .22 Mag loads are a bit more like .22 long loads: you get what you pay for. I recently saw .22 mag loads for $16, so I am not sure with the rising cost of ammo that the .22 is all that much cheaper than the .17

·
4,554 Posts
cost of ammo varies by area I guess, I am buying Hornady and CCI 17hmr for $9.99 box of 50 and the Remingtons and Federals are about $12.99 but I do not use them anyway. The .22Mags are the same price as the 17's here. but What shocked me was the price of 22lr is now $2.49 a box of 50 and it was .79 or .99 a box or between $7.99 and $9.99 a brick. I only have about 8 bricks left and I might have to make them last....

I agree that the .17 drifts in the wind but it is so fast I have never noticed any effect of drift out to 150 yds. I also agree that the .22 mag is a better "killer" on bigger critters like coyotes and big woodchucks but on fox and smaller varmints the .17HMR works great.

I wish Ruger still made the 10/22 Mag. I had one and sold it :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well guys went out today shopping and looked i picked up a savage 22mag for 280 and i like it stainless steel heavy barrle and scope on a black stock nice bolt and a accu trigger. i liked it alot. im going to shoot it the after noon and ill let you guys know what i think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.