Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the craigslist deal of the day on this one....its a 2006 15x48 grizzly picked it up for 800 bux the other day with a 50lb minn kota used one time and a 100 quart igloo cooler that went with the boat....someone painted it red at some point (unacceptable) and had kind of a jerry rigged bass boat set up inside made of wood and drywall screws and smelly red carpeting, this was ripped out immediately

already had a 35hp evinrude i picked up awhile ago not running off craigslist for something to tinker with, shes ready to go now rebuilt carb, new water pump, all tuned up with a new paint job as of last weekend because it was too hot to leave the garage

raided the bargain cave for some supplys at cabelas saturday got a gallon of green parkers for 30 bux (can had a dent)...a macs river runner prop guard for 70 bux (half price not sure why)....and the deal of the day a brand new never mounted cmc power tilt and trim unit for 300 bux....gotta love that bargain cave

got the motor and cmc on to measure clearance for float pods....was gonna order a set from boyd but i called beavertail and they said theirs fit my boat well, and cabelas has them on sale for 240 shipped. And now back to scuffing down the boat for paint (only good thing about midnight shift is i can get some thing done before it gets scorching outside)

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I am always looking on craigslist for deals on boats and motors and wish I would find a deal like that I can't believe that boat was only 800. It's looking good so far keep us updated.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its raining out so im stuck in the garage, no work on the boat today....took apart and painted my tilt n trim and fuel tank to kill some time, i clearcoated the gas tank with valspar satin finish clear as an experiment, still has alitle too much sheen to it for my liking. Trying to find a good matte clear coat to use on the boat if anyone has any suggestions, this ones alittle too shiny

got the boat scuffed down for paint, waiting for the pods to get here so i can weld them on and paint it all at once...started on the blind yesterday, gonna make it similar to a beavertail except the front will be able to drop and it will have a flip top roof so i can either sit down to shoot and drop the front or flip the top and stand up, well see if the idea in my head actually works

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got the blind frame about 75% done between the raindrops, need to bend 1 more hoop, cut the ends to size, and get the swivel brackets on....im gonna try to put as many pics on here as i can because i dont even know how any ideas ive gotten from this site, hopefully i can help somebody out too

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blind frames about done just have to get some straps and buckles and then camo it, the far right bar will drop to sit and shoot, one next to it will flip back if you want to stand up. Im really considering taking out that rear bench and making 2 side boxes to sit on, its really in the way

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Good job what sort of paint did you use, and how did you apply it spray gun?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its parkers hunter green, unthinned 25 p.s.i through harbor freight hvlp gun....for some reason those purple guns from harbor freight shoot primers and thicker paints pretty well, especially for 15 bucks. It did turn out pretty good, im glad i spent the 5 hours sanding out all the old nicks and scratches even though its just gonna get beat up again.

· Registered
474 Posts
Nice job covering up that red. The blind frame and pods look great. Have you had it in the H2O to see how well the pods help with flotation before and after the install? I have been toying with the idea of a set for my little boat.

· Registered
647 Posts
Oh, why'd you paint it if that's your truck in the back of the one pic it matched perfect!! haha jk it looks way better green!! Build looks good!!

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i havent had it in the water yet at all...just knew i wanted the pods from past boats ive had...they are the medium beavertail pods i measured how far the motor went side to side before i ordered them i have about 3 inches of clearance on both sides

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.