Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a chocolate lab, perferably female. I have called a couple breeders and had some short conversations with them. This will be my first hunting dog and I honestly don't really know what I'm looking for as far as its background and the pup itself. Could you all give me some tips. I already know I want certified good or better hips and eyes but am sort of lost after that.
I'm pretty much pedigree illiterate so keep the technical talk down if you can lol. :help:
Sorry, I'm sure you get these all the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you man.

I've been told dont settle on a male or female you will find the dog you want when you go and look at them.

Basically make sure the dog has a clean genetic history. And find a reputable breeder.

I'm not looking for a master hunt dog just an average retriever that won't cause too many head aches and something I can be proud of =).

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Heath, where you from? I grew up in Central Wisconsin near Oshkosh. I got my chocolate out of Hastings MN...just north of Rochester....I also know of some other good breeders in the MN area.

Labs

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
A few pics of her in action...all of these were taken before she turned one year of age....she is already doing some basic handling commands....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm from the Wausau area, I called another guy tonight but he doesn't have any certs on hips or eyes, and he says he breeds for looks mostly.
I asked about hunting background and he said something about candelwood or something. Anybody know anything about this?
Also I'm not looking for some incredible dog, just average as well.
Most of all I don't really want to dish out like $700, I know, I know, that the initial price of the dog is nothing compared to the rest, but...
Any more input would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Candlewood Kennel produces some very fine labs, however, your not going to get one under $700 bucks. Typically, the good breeders take deposits for a breeding long before the sire and dam are even bred, so if you have some money now, look at some pedigrees, look at some parents of upcoming breedings, and put down a deposit...spend the money, you won't be disappointed in a well bred lab. Whatever you do, don't buy one out of the news paper. Here are several websites that will point you in the right directions....

http://tntvermillionriverkennels.com/

http://candlewoodkennels.net/

http://www.stonybrookkennels.com./

http://www.saukriverlabs.com/default.html

http://www.doggies.com/Labrador_Retriever/Wisconsin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's my 2 cents,

If you talk to a breeder and they can't tell you specifics - walk away.

Eyes/hips & elbows are all important clearances. CNM clearance should also be asked about (Centronuclear Myopathy).

When it comes to dogs, I'm a bit OCD - I don't have time to talk to folks like that.... Also, if a breeder has both dogs at their place - that raises a big red flag.

You need to ask specific questions about what qualities they are looking to produce in their pups. Drive, desire, trainability, tractability and why did the do the breeding.

Are THEY LOOKING TO IMPROVE THE BREED or be able to buy a new 4 wheeler.

If they are looking to improve the breed, what do both bring to the table to do so ? How does the Breeder socialize the puppies ? What is their time frame on a given day, week - when to the puppies go home ? Are the puppies handled? For how long, how many times per day ? Depending on the weather, are the puppies let out side to romp? When are they introduced to wings ? What type? Are they intro'd to birds? What other items are the introduced to ? Type's of vaccintations and time frame ? Is this a repeat breeding - why was this breeding done ? if a repeat what has the 1st litter done ? You ask be able to ask for references or referrals ie either previous pups that have accomplishments or if all were sold for hunters - names of prior owners......

FYI - in order to get OFA clearances for hips/elbows - they need to be at least 2 years old - can check the OFA website for clearance - can also check the cerf website for clearance.

Parents accomplishments, ie titles, give the buyer a better understanding of what the puppies are capable of.

I've used Candlewood stud dog in a previous breeding and I am familiar with Stonybrook & Tnt sites.....don't know the other 2.

From someone who went from buying a $300 black lab hunting dog to having 5 chocolates that have succeeded in Trials and tests......Doing your homework will save you time and frustration...... look at the sticky note posted under Aconyms and their Meaning.....

A couple suggestions, get familiar with Field trial & hunt test titles/accomplishments - even if your just looking for a duck dog - the more you can get in a pedigree the better the odds are of getting the drive, desire and trainability - - -

My site is www.mnceramic.com/dogs, Dreamcatcher Retrievers - MN/WI area......I'm not trying to sell you a pup.

We have posted all genetic clearances on our males and females - also their pedigrees, accomplishments and photos are accessible. Breeders you want to talk to you should be able to provide this info within 15 seconds of having a conversation with them.

(you can find these sites by typing in for a google search)
high voltage retrievers, MN
Rainmaker labs in Stone Lake, WI.....
Soggy Acres labradors, WI
High Brass Kennels, St. Cloud MN
---

If you need more, let me know....

- The price issue - - "You can love a good dog as well as a bad dog"

Bill - proud handler/trainer/co-owner of Fox, Tank, Cody, Max, Babe and upcomer TJ and Molly.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.