Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
$700 dollars can get you a lot of gun. All you're gonna get here is recycled opinions and snappy comments about why gun X is better as an anchor.
In the end it all comes down to fit and feel. No amount of internet research can ever tell you how something will feel.
-Erik

·
Registered
158 Posts
for under 700 dollars you have a lot of good options were think pump or auto? some guns to think about would be the:
PUMPS
Remington 870
Mossberg 500
Benelli Nova
Stoeger 350
AUTOS
Mossberg 930
H&R Auto Excell
Stoeger 2000
and thats just if you wanna buy a brand new one you can get some awsome deals on second hand guns a lot of places

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
duckbuster17 said:
thanks ive herd that alot. im just seeing what people think about sertain guns. Im mostly worried about how mechanicly sound they are.
None of that is totally empirical. Ask the guy who thinks an SBEII is trash - it's HIS experience, just like the shooter who swears by an 870 express and says the thing never jams.

AJ's list is a good one and you could have money left over for shells when you buy almost any of those on the list.
If I had to add a gun to the list it would be a Browning BPS. Perhaps every gun opinon should include stats so:
Here's the deal.
6'1" tall, 200 lbs. Long arms. Left handed
Primary duck guns -
Browning BPS 20 Ga
Mossberg 835 12 Ga

Never had a problem with either - had to replace the firing pin on the 835 when i bought it used but a good cleaning and less than stellar cleaning have no impact. Both those guns are great for me, and are somewhat budget minded compared to some of the other guns available.
-Erik

·
Registered
631 Posts
Used Benelli SBE or M2

Used Beretta Xtrema 2 without kickoff

Winchester SX-1, maybe and SX-2

2 or 3 used, older 870's

2 older, used 11-87 SP's

2 used Stoeger 2000's

2 used Baikal MP-153's

NO Mossbergs
NO Charels Dalys
NO new Remingtons

Ducks

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Go to a Cabelas, Gander Mountain, whatever's nearby and do what salesmen hate. 'Touch 'em all'. Shoulder every one you think you might be interested in and see how it feels. If you're looking for one under $700 look at any up to about $1000 dollars because you can find one used for that price fairly easily. Don't be shy, and don't let them discouarage you. The most important thing is how well the gun fits you, and you just can't know until you've handled it for a bit.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Browning, I believe, makes the benchmark for all other pumps to be judged by. If your a smaller shooter you may have a fit problem. Mine could use a 3/8 inch stock trim but I've adjusted in a short time. I'm 5'11" and 190. If you don't shut eyes shoulder a BPS your doing yourself a disservice. The also have a higher resale value than most other pumps. Look at the used gun racks at a nice store. Look how many newer mossbergs and stoegers they have. Its not by chance that the guns that are on the used racks mostly consist of the same brands. Not to many berettas, benellis, brownings, SX3's, to be found. (and a lot you do find are beat)People don't trade good guns in. BTW. I work at a gun dealer part time so I have some experience in this. But I suppose the market could vary from state to state..

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Kiskadinna said:
duckbuster17 said:
thanks ive herd that alot. im just seeing what people think about sertain guns. Im mostly worried about how mechanicly sound they are.
None of that is totally empirical. Ask the guy who thinks an SBEII is trash - it's HIS experience, just like the shooter who swears by an 870 express and says the thing never jams.

AJ's list is a good one and you could have money left over for shells when you buy almost any of those on the list.
If I had to add a gun to the list it would be a Browning BPS. Perhaps every gun opinon should include stats so:
Here's the deal.
6'1" tall, 200 lbs. Long arms. Left handed
Primary duck guns -
Browning BPS 20 Ga
Mossberg 835 12 Ga

Never had a problem with either - had to replace the firing pin on the 835 when i bought it used but a good cleaning and less than stellar cleaning have no impact. Both those guns are great for me, and are somewhat budget minded compared to some of the other guns available.
-Erik
Right on! It completely comes down to how the gun fits. I will say that I am a left handed shooter that shoots a right handed gun. I have never had a problem with she shell ejecting no me or anything... J

1 - 12 of 12 Posts