Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,

Im new here and need some help!
I hunt woodduck behind my house on a creek. the way i do it is slipping up on the creek and blast em when they fly! problem is i aint blastin any i spookem b4 i can get there any input on how i can make blinds and where to put them on the creek??? :?: any help is needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah,

I have heard that woodducks like to stick around log jams? is that info right?? thx ahead of time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would find a good brushy area to set up a blind so it blends in. it is my understanding that woodies don't really decoy that well mostly past shooting. All the ones I have killed have been past shooting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I sort of disagree with Steelheader on this one.....I have had really good success on bringing them in to the decoys. If you give them a chance, they will certainly set in. Maybe being this far north, the aren't as spookish as when they get shot at a few times. I have had them swim in, fly off water to come in.....every time they never cease to surprise me. I would throw out a few magnum sized mallard decoys and get good with a wood duck call. Woody decoys are pretty and at the same time pretty small.......I don't even mess with em anymore. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Here's another fun way to pursue those pesky woodies...... wade the creek moving very slowly UPSTREAM (because the birds usually face into the current). I have been very sucessful using this strategy on puddlers. You will find all sorts of spots where the ducks are regularly found - then set in motion a decoy spread. A blinb may not be the best thing because on a creek the birds will not be in the same spot long term.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts