Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with bucksrun. They will have the new rsi shot available in the next couple of weeks. Bigger shot sizes first, but by about april they plan on having some smaller shot sizes.

He says this shot will have the same density as hevi shot at about 12 g/cm2, but will be softer. He also says it will have the same price tag as hevi shot and they're looking at about $190/10 lbs.

It's good to have options, but at that price, it's going to be hard to be competative with hevi shot that you can purchase at around $160/10 lbs. They need to be cheaper than hevi shot to gain market share except for those guys who are shooting older guns that can't handle hevi shot.

All in all, this is good news and hopefully the competition will drive prices down to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
The only advantage with this shot is you will be able to use lead components including shotcups. I'll still be using fast, fast steel. I'm still loading my 7/8 oz steel loads for #4.47 abox but it will jump to $5 abox when I have to buy steel again. I have enough primers and shotcups to last me my life time and still have 4 lbs of STEEL powder really propellant. Ned S

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only advantage with this shot is you will be able to use lead components including shotcups.
That's the only economical advantage. 12 g/cm2 density will have ballistic advantage over steel's 7.86 g/cm2. Ned, I'm with you on the fast steel loads. The only 12g shells I shot this year were RSI 1700 ft/s + and had excellent results. However, there is a place for high density loads.

I have a 20ga benelli monte that is a joy to shoot and carry at 5.5 lbs. On hunts with long hikes, I use this gun. Reloading data for steel maxes out at 1525 ft/s and 3/4 oz load. For some of the shooting I do, this load does not get the job done. I finished the year reloading some hevi 6 shot at 1400 and the difference on ducks was huge. If I could do a 1700 ft/s load of steel in small gauge, that's what I would use as well. But there isn't one out there. Steel works a lot of the time out of a 20ga, but there are days where high density is needed.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I would pay the price if it is soft enough to shoot in the old fixed full choke, in older guns like my A-5 and side by sides.

Hope they post a hardness rating ............

A little softer than Hev-, does not cut it !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts