Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DNR has adopted these proposed changes to Minnesota's waterfowl hunting regulations:

Increasing the bag limit for Canada, white-fronted or Brant geese in any combination from three to five birds per day for the entire season;

Extending legal shooting hours to sunset for the entire season, eliminating the 4 p.m. early season closure;

Implementing a five-day early teal season (Sept. 4 - Sept. 8) as an experimental regulation for up to three years;

Allowing statewide over-water goose hunting during the early September season; and

Establishing season dates through the 2024 season for the north, central and south waterfowl hunting zones.

North zone: Keeping a 60-day season with no split. The 2021 season dates would be Saturday, Sept. 25, to Tuesday, Nov. 23.
Central zone: Keeping a 60-day season with a five-day split. The 2021 season dates would be Saturday, Sept. 25, to Sunday, Oct. 3, and Saturday, Oct. 9, to Sunday, Nov. 28.
South zone: Implementing a 60-day season with a five-day split rather than the 12-day split implemented the past nine years. The 2021 season dates would be Saturday, Sept. 25, to Sunday, Oct. 3, and Saturday, Oct. 9, to Sunday, Nov. 28.

The DNR developed the waterfowl regulation proposals after public engagement efforts during the past few months, which included an online survey, direct staff outreach and a hunter attitude survey.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/wa ... input.html

Never thought I'd see this...maybe in another 10 years they'll allow swan and sandhills statewide.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Wow…. It seems to be that people/ DNR are finally concerned enough about waterfowl participation to make changes, in SD they're also offering an experimental 3 duck license this season that removes sex and species restrictions…. It's nice to see states are actually listening, maybe Michigan will get this Sandhill crane thing going too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am not a fan of the new 3 splash rule in SD/NE. A full strap of hen cans or hen pintails breaks my heart.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WallyDuck said:
I am not a fan of the new 3 splash rule in SD/NE. A full strap of hen cans or hen pintails breaks my heart.

Seriously? A couple years ago you could legally shoot 2 cans and/or 2 pintails...

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Time to plan teal spots!

Was gonna build a blind hit can't afford ammo and lumber!

Because I'm a MN Hunter I will complain it is only 5 days! I'd have loved to see a full 16 days and a week before Labor Day for a start.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
And I'm in love with no lore 4pm close......

My wife likely is not or will not be when I'm gone for 2 more weeks of supper.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they end up allowing trolling motors on most WMAs and motorized decoys I'll really like the DNR.

Already have my teal weekend planned :grooving:

·
Registered
884 Posts
kbooger said:
WallyDuck said:

Seriously? A couple years ago you could legally shoot 2 cans and/or 2 pintails...
I didn't agree with it then either. Long term average for both species is to low. I've shot hens of both in the last few seasons, mostly to break frustrating hunts, but wish hunters wouldn't target hens that are in decline.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WallyDuck said:
kbooger said:
WallyDuck said:

I didn't agree with it then either. Long term average for both species is to low. I've shot hens of both in the last few seasons, mostly to break frustrating hunts, but wish hunters wouldn't target hens that are in decline.

Hunting is hardly ever the reason for population declines, the biggest driver is environment. Next is probably predation.

I don't know anyone who targets hens of any species. And I doubt many guys are out there just piss pounding the hell out of cans and pins. But that is MN.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Glad to see we finally adopted a teal season. I will definitely enjoy a few more days chasing those little rockets around. As far as the 3 splash rule implemented in a few states I understand the intent. Personally it's not for me but I understand the barriers in waterfowl hunting. If it gets a few more people interested in chasing ducks and strengthening our numbers its hard to be against that. Unfortunately we're part of a dying breed and our traditions aren't being passed along like they once were.

·
Registered
884 Posts
A few years back, the guy I worked for wanted to try duck hunting. He goes up to sand lake for archery deer opener, which was also the duck opener. I lent him a few decoys and showed him the duck ID in the back of the handbook. Monday at work he showed me his 3 ducks, still in the bed of his truck. He admitted to shooting a box of shells before hitting his first bird. He took all three on the water. A BWT, ruddy duck, and a canvasback so young, if it wasn't for the bill I wouldn't have identified it. He identified none of them after having them in hand.

The splash rule might help attract hunters, but it also gives license to those who just want to kill and not respect resources.

·
Super Moderator
25,351 Posts
And when they shoot those 3 , why not a few more when its easy :no: IMO its going to lead to a lot more problems

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wally I completely agree with people just wanting to go out and blast at things flying by. I think the 3 splash rule should be allowed to new hunters for 2 seasons and then you have to go back to the normal seasons with pre determined bag limits. I'm actually surprised to see states implementing these new options with the drought we are experiencing and 2 consecutive years of no waterfowl counts. Getting late in the year now but hopefully we start getting some rains and we get a little more moisture this winter and next spring.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had no idea you guys had so many restrictions on waterfowl hunting. Hopefully your brethren can lay-off the wood ducks and young mallards so you can keep the teal season

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
WallyDuck said:
I had no idea you guys had so many restrictions on waterfowl hunting. Hopefully your brethren can lay-off the wood ducks and young mallards so you can keep the teal season

I agree wally. I can't say I haven't shot my fair share of hen mallards, our joke is I only chase hen mallards. But man do i want to see pintails and cans continue to populate MN again/more often.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I disagree with the idea that a 3 splash rule gives way to shooting more birds, illegal harvest is illegal, people that are going to do it don't care what license type they have if they have one at all.… that a very pessimistic way to view a reg change

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I've seen a few random pintails flying this year.

And I've seen more wood duck hatches than I can recall. Lots of mallard hatches but they dwindle fast as babes. Even found a dead hen up on the bank.

Goldeneyes are strong locally again.

I know drought is bad and the Prairie is dry dry but locally even being dry we seem to be doing well.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've heard rumors they're going to allow motorized decoys all year and possibly on WMAs. Haven't actually seen anything to confirm that tho.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts