Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 345788 What would everyone think with this data and compared a reduced charge of Longshot, maybe 30-31grain. Where would you estimate the pressure to be? Even with it at 10,250psi in a 3”, I wouldn’t expect it to jump more than 3,000psi if moved to a 2.75” hull. 30-31grain of Longshot may eliminate the need for an over powder card, in a 2.75” hull? BPI loading BB steel gives room for smaller shot, steel 1’s, 2’s, or 3’s to be an effective 1oz steel load. I’ll load some in 3” and 2.75”. This may be better suited for warmer weather hunts.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
God, Family, Community, WATERFOWL HUNTING
39 Posts
View attachment 345788 What would everyone think with this data and compared a reduced charge of Longshot, maybe 30-31grain. Where would you estimate the pressure to be? Even with it at 10,250psi in a 3”, I wouldn’t expect it to jump more than 3,000psi if moved to a 2.75” hull. 30-31grain of Longshot may eliminate the need for an over powder card, in a 2.75” hull? BPI loading BB steel gives room for smaller shot, steel 1’s, 2’s, or 3’s to be an effective 1oz steel load. I’ll load some in 3” and 2.75”. This may be better suited for warmer weather hunts.

Thoughts?
I believe you will do fine for pressure in a 2-3/4" hull with the removal of the N712 OPC. Really, the only limiting factor is simply making sure the wad and shot charge height fit inside of the specific hulls you are using. Adjusting the load may play with pressures some, but not enough to make too much of a difference. I suspect your load workup from 28.5gr start will top about at a similar max charge to the posted BPI load.

I have never quite understood the idea of using the MG42 wad for steel shot loads, and this load from BPI is a little funky to me, but if it works, it works. My best guess is that they are using the OPC to simply get the height of the payload up high enough to crimp well in the 3" hull; 1oz of steel is pretty light for a 3" hull, after all.

With the exception of black powder and BP Substitute loads, I have never found much luck with OPC's in the 12 or 10 gauge, to include Longshot loads. I typically use a gas seal for the same purpose.

This load should make a nice wood duck and teal load in #3, #4, and #5 steel shot.

What gun are you building this load up for?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thoughts?
https://www.precisionreloading.com/docs/uploads/TUWGL12 Load Data - Website.pdf The precision

The precision TUWGL12 (same wad by gualandi) data sheet has this exact load in a cheddite. 29.5 grains gives 1482fps at 11410psi. 27.5 in a Fiocchi gives 11420psi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts