Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The boat is a semi v and I currently have a 25 yamaha on it. I hunt mainly on an open lake that has alot of mud flats. I also travel to other states where I hunt marshes. I currently run about 23 to 25 mph with my current rig. If my boat is suited for a short tail what mph should I expect.

· Registered
432 Posts
How wide? I had mine on a 1852 Lowe and was impressed with speed and load handling. Now I have a 1860 custom boat and am not impressed. The 16' might hurt alittle. The longer wider boats, to my understanding, run better. I have the 27 Pro-Drive.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
16 x 48 is a good size for a HyperDrive. I have run three Hypers on my 18 x 54 boat (I am a dealer). I now have a 35 on it, but I think this is overkill for a 16x48 or 16x52. I am thinking a 29 or 31 on your boat would fly, if that is what you want.

Occasionally, there is a hull that just won't push well with a shorttail. The best advice I can give you is to find a dealer of MudBuddy or ProDrive and pop a motor on your boat to see how it will do. We would do this for a local customer. $3K+ is a lot to spend on a motor and you should be sure it will push your boat as you expect.

Good luck with your purchase.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hayden Hunter, I appreciate your info. If I ran one of these motors what should I expect as for as mph. Also do you or any other person on this forum know a hyper dealer in SC I know there is a Prodrive dealer hear.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Two MudBuddy HyperDrive dealers in SC. One is Kevin at 843-412-5537. Will get number of the other. Who you buy from depends on where you live in SC. You need to buy from the closest dealer for support if you ever need it. True with MB or PD.

Hard to tell with speeds. I have a 35 Hyper on my 18 x 54. Mine is a tunnel hull with rounded chines and I am running at 2100 feet elevation. Those three factors rob 3-4 mph off of what you would otherwise get in deep water. With 2 hunters, dog, dekes and blind I get 18-20. With one I get 21-23. With three (add second dog) I get 15-18. As I said, results vary with different hull dimensions. My buddy has an 18 x 48 non-tunnel boat that is lighter and he outruns me with his 31 Hyper.

Now, when you are fishing or scouting without as much junk in the boat you will flat out fly.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.