Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Not and O/U guy but try the spartan. See if it suits your needs then go from there.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
jrockncash said:
Not and O/U guy but try the spartan. See if it suits your needs then go from there.
I have a Remington/Baikal Spartan 310. I like it. If you check some other forums you will see it will have somewhat mixed reviews: those that like it will say so, those who don't like it just don't dislike it they hate it and anyone that has one... and their children. Take what some say with a grain of salt. It would depend on what you will use it for: will it stand up to 1000's of rounds a month of clay shooting, I don't know. I do know it worked well for me this year for ducks/geese with 100's of rounds.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The spartan is a well built tank of a gun. The problem is it is a tank. You can also try the stoger condor, mossey silver reserve, tri star, etc. I have two condors and a silver reserve. Both so far have held up very well. I use the stogers for duck gunning and the mossy is a 410 that I use for small upland birds. All of the above are good guns for the money. You could also look into a cz for a couple hundred more or a used red lable or browning in that price range. Just a warning if you handle one of the brownings or a redlable you will not want one of the lower end guns. The difference in feel is amazing. Just remember to take your time shop around and select on that fits you and you won't go wrong.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i went out today and felt the stoeger condor and i like it it fits well points nice im thinking on going with it but may wait a month or two to see what gose around for sale used or on sale new. thank you guys for all the help

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I bought a yildiz O/U for $400. It looks nice, fits well, and is really light. Kicks like a mule though when I use 3" mags.

Got it as a backup for my 1187, so needless to say I took it duck hunting a few times this year. It shoots really well, and has made me much more selective on my shots. Now I have an SBEII, but my O/U still stays in the boat just in case someones gun breaks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i bought the condor combo...which is the 12ga/20ga barrells...man that thing shoots like a dream...and for the money getting 2 guns for half of what you pay for some O/U...you can't beat it...

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah it comes with both sets of barrells...i got mine for $400 at ***** sporting goods...took it out quail hunting and duck hunting...thing shouldered and shot like a dream...not too heavy...like i said earlier...i love the gun especially for that price...getting both guages...

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you can, try to shoot several different ones. I borrowed a Browning Citori, a Beretta, and a Ruger. Hands down, I liked the Browning. Great gun - it'll outlive me and probably my son too.

Take your time, choose wisely, and don't skimp.

- Jimmy

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
In that price range I'd go with the condor. They're realible, good shooting guns. The Spartan 310 is a a fair gun at point of sale and an excellent one after a few adjustments. I really don't think you can beat the deal on stoeger condors in terms of cheap o/u's though. They're just so inexpensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a Franchi Renaissance - Field in 12/28 last year brand new in the box for a grand. It weighs a hair over 6 pounds and has the TSA gel-pad. Lots of compliments and it shoulders like a dream.
Uses the Benelli/Beretta/Stoeger Mobilchoke system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a condor.Its a great gun but I have had to make a few modifications over the years. The first was that after shooting magnum rounds out of it for a couple of duck seasons, the stock started to crack up near the receiver. I stripped the stock, sanded it down and reinforced it with fiberglass and then repainted it camoflage. If you could get it in a synthetic stock, it would be perfect. Another issue I was having was with rust. It would start to rust before I got home from hunting with it. I would clean it and oil it and the next time I brought it out, there would be rust on it. I ended up getting it parkerized. It was well worth the money.

Its a great gun and it fits me perfectly. Never have had a single problem with it functioning and I've used it hard for probably 8 years. Just wish they came from the factory with synthetic stocks and parkerized or teflon coated.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
There are a lot of great O/U's but your limiting yourself to the entry level guns with a $500 price tag. Previous poster is right when he says don't handle a gun that is out of your price range. You won't want to put it down. My new layaway is a Browning Citori 31/2 mag in Max-4. I own a Franchi falconet too. Best upland game gun I've ever swung. My best advice is to look at several different examples of the same gun. Fit and finish can vary greatly and you can usually find one that's better than the rest.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
don taylor said:
There are a lot of great O/U's but your limiting yourself to the entry level guns with a $500 price tag. Previous poster is right when he says don't handle a gun that is out of your price range. You won't want to put it down. My new layaway is a Browning Citori 31/2 mag in Max-4. I own a Franchi falconet too. Best upland game gun I've ever swung. My best advice is to look at several different examples of the same gun. Fit and finish can vary greatly and you can usually find one that's better than the rest.
Limiting yourself to a $500 pricetag? A Red Label is not a $500 gun. :hammer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts