Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new yellow lab... 9 weeks. My last one died a couple months ago. Just curious if there is anything I should be doing right now cause i really want to get her introduced to ducks but I know its too early to do much. The breader I got her from gave her duck wings like 2 weeks after she was born (he was a big hunter too!) and she loved um. Ive got a little duck toy and it quacks when she bites it and she loves that 2. But what are the first steps i should do? or anything? Im going to get her trained by a professional (he makes me do all the work but is there for assistance) later down the road and everything... What were your guys' first steps? Any suggestions would help! :help:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Obedience, Obedience, Obedience...

For fun you can throw in some OB training too! :laughing:

Seriously, that is the most important thing. You can throw a duck wing in the house, and just play around with retrieving in the yard, but the mistake that most people make is thinking they need to worry about nothing but retrieving and hunting. What they fail to realize is that obedience (OB) training is what makes them good hunting dogs. Most are born with the desire to retrieve, it is all of the other stuff that you need to teach them.

So do yourself a big favor, concentrate on no other training other than OB for the next two months. Let the dog play with retrieves. AFTER that, you can increase the amount of retriever training you do.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Robber,

I try to stay away from toys that squeek, or quack. I don't know if it matters, but the thought was that when it comes time you sure wouldn't want your pup to try and make the real thing squeek or quack.

Just a thought.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
At nine weeks, the most important thing you can do is be the puppies best friend. Get it acquainted with its new environment.

Teach it basic obedience commands at that age through conditioning. By this I mean to teach the dog to come by doing something to get the pup running toward you and then saying come or here or whatever you pick. Do this everytime the pups heading toward you. This is an extremely low pressure way to teach the command, then you can move on to teaching this command with a checkcoard. I outlined this command because I feel it is the most crucial.

My real suggestion would be to get a book on basic ob training. Like steve said, obedience training is the MOST important thing a dog can learn. There are tons of books out there to pick from and this is what I learn the most from. Web forums are great for a specific issue, but something general like this needs a book to cover it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I too agree on the obedience, but just make sure that you are not overdoing it. The pup is nine weeks concentrate on potty training and then the basic obediece. As far as the wing goes, let him carry it, throw it, retrieve it, anything but chew on it. Take it slow things dont happen overnight :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
obedience, once it gets the commands down then start tossing a bird wing and having her retrieve it, but remember when she is retrieving show her whose boss cuz the lil ones will tend to want to run and have fun with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bond Bond and Bond! It really makes a world of difference. My dogs that
have started out in the house with me and the family have always been
better. I can not help but think It was the additional bonding that took place, over the ones that were pretty much raised in the kennel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.