Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have to start teaching on Monday for one month, so I won't be able to train as much with him. So on Friday, he begins his 3 month stay with Paul Botehlo of Dartmoor Retrievers. I'll still train with him on Saturdays and any days off from school. Gonna miss him but this way he gets to train 6 days/week right up until duck season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
AvianAddict said:
PL, I hope I'm lucky enough to hunt over him someday!

Oh it will happen for sure. Looking forward to it.

Trained today and he did great. He had two water retrieves out to 150 yards. He did really well and the trainer decided to try and push him. We sent him on a land retrieve out to 250 yards. He did it twice and nailed them both. Later on he did a couple shorter retrieves of bumpers in heavy cover. Those weren't perfect but he got them both. I couldn't be more proud of him.

Left him with the trainer today to start his 3 months boarding. I will be out there training with him again tomorrow. Saturdays are the only day I can get out with him for the next month. I'll try and get more video/pictures tomorrow. Wish I had today but oh well.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here's video of the trainer running Chapo on a long retrieve of a bumper in tall grass.
I ran him a couple times too today but both of my runs he stopped halfway back to relieve himself.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Chapo hit 10 months today. This retrieve was out 300+ yards and he had to go through a lot of scent from the morning training, birds bumpers etc. He went right through it and was not distracted. Very happy with his progress.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Chapo is home for the weekend for some R and R while the trainer is running other dogs at the field test. Irishwhistler I got your message from Laurie, hope your dogs are doing well at the trials.

Tomorrow I bring Chapo back to the trainer and we are going to start working on force hold. That means Chapo will start doing doubles pretty soon. Very excited to start this and see him progress even farther.

I am amazed at how fit he has gotten in the past 6 weeks, how much progress he has made. He has 6 more weeks with the trainer.

Anyway, here's a couple pics. He's 11 months old now and looking good.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts