Duck Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Professor_Leakey said:
Chapo is home for the weekend for some R and R while the trainer is running other dogs at the field test. Irishwhistler I got your message from Laurie, hope your dogs are doing well at the trials.

Tomorrow I bring Chapo back to the trainer and we are going to start working on force hold. That means Chapo will start doing doubles pretty soon. Very excited to start this and see him progress even farther.

I am amazed at how fit he has gotten in the past 6 weeks, how much progress he has made. He has 6 more weeks with the trainer.

Anyway, here's a couple pics. He's 11 months old now and looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aye Professor Leakey,

I got ye message from Laurie and hope to see ye in the fall. Here's a photo o' me retriever MAC after his first tun in the AKC Senior Hunter stakes this weekend. He had a great day and so did I.

DSC09319_FotorResized.jpg

~ SHR LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN LEGACY O' TRAD FINIAN MAC JH ~ Call name "MAC".

Cheers,
Irishwhistler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Here's to you and MAC! Congratulations!

No doubt I will see you at Baymen's hunters' gathering soon, barring any unforeseen shenanigans,biological or otherwise.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Chapo just started force hold. The trainer worked with him this time but he's getting me ready to work on it with Chapo myself.

Not sure if he'd want his face on the forum so I marked it up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Professor_Leakey said:
Here's to you and MAC! Congratulations!

No doubt I will see you at Baymen's hunters' gathering soon, barring any unforeseen shenanigans,biological or otherwise.

Thanks G ! Looking forward to the Fowler's Gathering II. :thumbsup:

Cheers :beer: ,
Mike

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Chapo had a very off day of training today. First bird, a duck, he got just about to it when he winded the blind bumpers. He peeled off to them and the helper wasn't able to get his attention back towards the duck.

Second run was on a live pigeon. I believe it was his first time with live birds. Got to the bird on the water but would not pick it up. Tried a second time, same result. So we did a couple retrieves with a live pigeon on land and he got over it and got it. Then a short retrieve of one on water. Like I said first time with a live one. Im guessing that's fairly common. He'll see live birds again tomorrow and I bet he'll do better.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
What a difference a day makes! Training today, his first mark was through water up on to land to retrieve a dead duck. He got the mark and took a direct line through the water on the return. Did not cheat.

Next retrieve was a break test on a live pigeon. He held steady when the guns went off, never broke, and didn't hesitate on the bird.

Final retrieve, break test on a live duck. Again held steady with the gun fire, didn't break. When he got to the duck it dove and Chapo dove down after it. They were both totally underwater. Duck pops up and Chapo popped up right after it and fetched it right up.

I could not have been more proud.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Having a good run. Labor day weekend I ran 2 HRC Finished hunt tests with my dog Bean in New Hampshire and she earned 2 passes. Took her to Maine this weekend and ran 2 more Finished test and she went 1 for 2. When I got home there was a message on my answering machine that I had won a Browning Cynergy from the Connecticut Waterfowl Association. Our own Mike Enright (Irishwhistler) sold me the winning ticket. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
650 Posts
wsumner said:
Having a good run. Labor day weekend I ran 2 HRC Finished hunt tests with my dog Bean in New Hampshire and she earned 2 passes. Took her to Maine this weekend and ran 2 more Finished test and she went 1 for 2. When I got home there was a message on my answering machine that I had won a Browning Cynergy from the Connecticut Waterfowl Association. Our own Mike Enright (Irishwhistler) sold me the winning ticket. Thanks Mike.
Aye Wayne,
Nice haul Lad. Enjoy that Cynergy and thanks for ye support to CWA.

Cheers :beer: ,
Mike

41 - 60 of 75 Posts