Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a female 8 week old yellow lab. She is doing pretty good with her obidence but sometimes she will go outside and then about 5 mins after she comes in she will go in the house :thumbsdown: does anyone have any good tips on house breaking and how long it took you to house break your lab. I was also wondering if the water dog book has good information on obidence training and if anyone has a copy they dont need anymore that would be interested in selling it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Don't know what the PM said, but at 8 weeks you could have a little while to go. What worked for me was just taking my puppy out every 1/2 and hour to every hour. Then if she went in the house I took her out immediately. Pretty basic method, but it worked for me. I think my next dog I'm going to train to ring a bell to go outside. This seems like it would be easier for dogs to pick up and definately easier than watching to try to see when they need to go out. Good Luck just remember she's really young.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gsphunter said:
Don't know what the PM said, but at 8 weeks you could have a little while to go. What worked for me was just taking my puppy out every 1/2 and hour to every hour. Then if she went in the house I took her out immediately. Pretty basic method, but it worked for me. I think my next dog I'm going to train to ring a bell to go outside. This seems like it would be easier for dogs to pick up and definately easier than watching to try to see when they need to go out. Good Luck just remember she's really young.
that is what i have been doing and she doing alot better now

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
my tried and trued method for house training a puppy in a long weekend. there are only 3 times when you should take a puppy out. 1) after she eats and or drinks. 2) when she wakes up from sleeping (even just a little nap) 3) if she starts sniffing around.

the trick is, stay outside until she goes to the bathroom. it doesn't matter if it takes an hour, when you take her out, stay out until she goes. you don't even want to get her thinking that she is allowed back in the house until she is done with her business. also, plan on staying with the dog the entire weekend. don't plan anything else. don't lock her up in the kennel, etc. keep her with you the entire weekend and watch her closely. you want to try and avoid the 1st accident as long as you can.

hth!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Like others have said, she is only eight weeks old. This is very young and there will be a few more accidents. What I would do is take the dog out every hour, or right after she drinks water. When the puppy starts to pee say "hurry up" and praise her when she is done.

What the "hurry up" has done for me is when I walk them in town and I don't when them peeing in peoples yards, I can get to a place I want her to pee and say hurry up. Its kinda like when you sit on the toilet and instantly have to go. You say hurry up and it makes them think of peeing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help she has been doing alot better i try to take her out every hour or less and she has been starting to go towards the door when she has to go so she is progressing nicely

·
Registered
23 Posts
my dog is 11 weeks old and he is getting there with his house breaking, he goes and waits by the door now when he needs to go out but there are still those few times that he does go inside.

8 weeks shes got a ways to go, my dog at 8 weeks was the same way "ok you need to go outside?" goes outside bring back in a praise him by playing with him and bam he goes on floor. He only went #2 twice in the house once on the carpet and once in his kennel ever since then he hasnt did that anymore (that was at 7wks)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.