Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin at a new baitcaster. What do you suggest? I like the Curado but it is a little expensive. Thanks

· Moderator in Training
13,139 Posts
Curados are nice I have one that I got as a gift. I like the low profile baitcasters. The cronarch line is nice and pricey. Take a look at the Calais. More in my price range. One thing I do with bait casters is that I like a left handed reel. That way I don't have to switch hands after a cast. And I keep what i call my power hand on the rod ans rel with my left.

· Registered
1,822 Posts
I really like Shimano reels, but I think I am no help because of your tastes. I would love a curado or similar, but the price is a bit much for me too. I have a couple Shimano Callisto's and I am very happy with them, heck, I'm sure Id be happy with Calcutta's, but gotta think of the budget i guess.
I have talked to a lot of guys that like the Quantum Energy PT and the accurist. they might be worth looking into.
Yeah, either way - Im of little help.

-Erik :rofl:

· Registered
4,568 Posts
#1 Abu Garcia
#2 Shimano

#3 I Bought a Bait cast Combo about 12 years ago form BPS, $30, cant remember the series, but that cheap thing lasted me 11 years, I took it apart for a good cleaning, if i had not did that, it would still be casting today.

· Registered
3,967 Posts
i like shimano, but for the price, penicle's are a great buy. i've had problems w/ quantums which are in the same price range but not w/ penicle.

· Registered
703 Posts
Diawa has a new Burner 7:1 out called the megaforce and it has the twitching bar for about 60 bucks. Not a bad reel it has 7 bearings and looks like a pretty good reel. Just another option, personally I have a older curado and a BP bassmaster series. I am going to buy another BP reel they are pretty tough and have never had a problem witht hem whether fishing pike in canada or largemouth in Okla.

· Registered
4,568 Posts
youngster57 said:
Diawa has a new Burner 7:1 out c
Why Do you need a 7:1? I cant think of any freshwater species that that would be optimal for.

· Registered
703 Posts
well I use a 7:1 for large mouth when wanting a fast retreive. Not saying thats all I use but yes I do use one for crankbaits and buzz baits and spinnerbaits. You dont have to use them but I like to have one for those times when you need a faster retrieve and dont want to wear your arm out reeling.

· Registered
4,568 Posts
Youngster, Is the 7:1 not too fast for those applications? You sound knowledgeable so I'm not going to pick on you too much :tongue:

But it amazes me at the people who want nothing but the fastest ratio that they can fine... "My 8:1's better than your 5:1" is a common phrase.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
CURADO! CURADO! CURADO!

greatest reel on the earth. hands down. me or my dad have owned just about every reel out there. the curado is the best for the money. :thumbsup:

ABU Garcia is ok. they dont fit as comfortable in the hand. ive had some problems with them.

i wouldnt get a 7:1. thats too fast.

· Registered
923 Posts
im a spinnin reel man....pinnacle extant or shimano. 5:2:1 gear ratio 9 bearings. cant beat the extant for the price

· Registered
3,967 Posts
greenster wrote :Why Do you need a 7:1? I cant think of any freshwater species that that would be optimal for.
that ratio is good for jigs and soft plastics when pictching and flipping. if you fish in thick stuff, like i do, you need something to get them out quick. what about burning a spinnerbait on top too?
there are a bunch of applications for a high-speed reel.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
well, ive got a 5:1 and it pushes a buzzbait perfectly. i can understand the jig thing. thats not a bad idea. but i wouldnt reccomend that for a all-around reel. its a little too fast for even spinnerbaits. or you'll just be reeling in slow motion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.