Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I am new to duck hunting and also new to this board. I'm wondering if you all could advise me on where to go to learn the sport. I'm new to the sport and none of my friends know of anybody that hunts ducks. I've tried to look for clubs but to no avail. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

IJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey ironjohn, Im from Oregon so where not too far apart, thats a bummer you dont know anyone who hunts because my best advice is to go with a veteran hunter, But the next bes thing you can do is trial and error. get out in the blind and see what works. What kind of equipment do you have already? well post back, and maybe we can go hunting some time! - caleb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Caleb,

Thanks for the reply. As far as equipment goes, I have a Rem. 1187 in 12 ga., and thats pretty much it. I have no reservations about going out and buying what I need though. Where in Oregon do you live? I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the Vancouver, WA area this fall. Drop me a line back and maybe we could hook up for a beer and talk ducks!

IJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
The first thing you will actually "need" when hunting is a pair of waders, seeing as how were up north id advise you go with neoprene. The only other thing you will really "need" is a warm, preferably waterproof jacket. Things like decoys and call arent really necessary if you find out were the ducks are and want to be. Go out and scout some spots before season. Do you call at all? If not then get some tapes or cd's there usually pretty good at teaching the basic stuff. One problem i had when i first started was i was too anxious to call ducks, dont over call if theyre coming in then let them. I live in Silverton Oregon its about 15 miles outside salem, i would love to meet up have a beer and talk ducks sometime. Maybe well shoot a few while were at it. Good Luck- caleb

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
You may also want to make a new thread on the WA state forum to alert WA folks of your predicament. It seems most folks from WA and OR hunt primarily geese VS ducks. Sorry but I know of no one there in WA that is a duck hunter. And what part of WA do you hail from? The coast or the flats towards tri-cities or Spokane?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Iron John, if you're going to be in the Vancouver area a lot during season, I'd head up north an hour or so and hunt the Toutle, WA area on and around Silver Lake. There's a lot of decent blinds, good jump shooting, and if you have a boat, even better! I would also recommend making a trip to Bear River on Willipa Bay. There is a great area for both ducks and geese. WDFW would be able to help you out as well. Give em' a call! Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts