Duck Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Off season testing question:
It seems that shot shell load data components have been pretty much covered.
My question for today is how about wad slitting? Is there any performance data covering the depth of the cut in the wads to merit the specific depth a wad should be cut(Slit) for better performance?
So if we slit a wad 1/4" from the top; will the ballistics be affected and how than say one slit 3/4" down from the top?
Are there any benefits for wing shooters by customizing loads to this extreme or is it just not feasible.
And if so and i'm sure wad differences will affect this as well so lets narrow it down to the csd078 just to keep it fair.
Or the bp12. Seems that these two wads only come unslit with a modified choke being the standard test size for restriction.
1st. cup of coffee this morning guy's.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Off season testing question:
It seems that shot shell load data components have been pretty much covered.
My question for today is how about wad slitting? Is there any performance data covering the depth of the cut in the wads to merit the specific depth a wad should be cut(Slit) for better performance?
So if we slit a wad 1/4" from the top; will the ballistics be affected and how than say one slit 3/4" down from the top?
Are there any benefits for wing shooters by customizing loads to this extreme or is it just not feasible.
And if so and i'm sure wad differences will affect this as well so lets narrow it down to the csd078 just to keep it fair.
Or the bp12. Seems that these two wads only come unslit with a modified choke being the standard test size for restriction.
1st. cup of coffee this morning guy's.
Some guys like 3-slit full length, others like 4-full length. I just keep it easy and cut all of mine 4slit, down to the cup base.

ideas and lines are further blurred when discussing buck shot and turkey load options.

factory ammo (Kent, hevi, B&P) that uses the LBC and TPS wads cut 4-slit full length for steel and bismuth loads.
Liquid Product Cosmetics Fluid Road surface
Paint Red Font Tints and shades Recreation
Drinkware Product Dishware Cup Fluid
Liquid Product Cosmetics Fluid Road surface

Drinkware Product Dishware Cup Fluid

Paint Red Font Tints and shades Recreation

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Thanks Doc. It's too hot today in Texas for me to spend time in the reloading shop. A/C working overtime and still a bit uncomfortable.
Thought I would ask a wad question.
Just out of curiosity, are those Black cloud style wads factory? I haven't seen any in the re-loaders market yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks Doc. It's too hot today in Texas for me to spend time in the reloading shop. A/C working overtime and still a bit uncomfortable.
Thought I would ask a wad question.
Just out of curiosity, are those Black cloud style wads factory? I haven't seen any in the re-loaders market yet.
Repurposed factory components, federal hull, primer, powder, wad. Subbed in steel shot 1.00 of copper plated B’s and 0.50oz of tss 7’s.

I took the hw15 shot and used for duplexing and subgauge loading. original payload weight was 1.875oz of hw15 1300fps.

I had 10gauge 2oz loads pressure tested with reduced payload weight of steel 1’s,
Rectangle Floor Art Gas Font
Table Wood Hood Flooring Hardwood
Rectangle Road surface Wood Asphalt Composite material
Rectangle Floor Art Gas Font

Table Wood Hood Flooring Hardwood

Rectangle Road surface Wood Asphalt Composite material

1.55oz in the 10gauge. Safe pressures, enough velocity 1350-1375fps, and field results on geese, ducks, and dove at distance were all very good.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Why doesn't shot shell boxes have ranges instead of velocities? If I was going to shoot waterfowl at 15 yards, pretty sure I wouldn't need a shell that traveled 1710 FPS. Just saying. If I wanted to set my decoy's at 40 yards, I should be able to buy the ones that advertised for a range to 40 yards on the box. Thoughts?
Ammunition manufacturers have no knowledge of the chokes that will be used with their loads, nor of the skills of the person buying/shooting them.
Then, there is the situation where manufacturer X might put a range of 30 yards on his particular load, and manufacturer Z put a range of 35 yards on an identical load.
This is why most shell makers just use "LONGER RANGE", "BETTER PATTERNS", "MORE KNOCK-DOWN POWER" , and other, non-provable advertising claims.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I slit my csd 3 slits just shy of full length. That seems to give me a repeatable pattern that i can work with in choke selection. I dont load for long range shooting though

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Keep an eye out for the NTC wad splitter in ebay etc. They were made in the 80's and 90's, but show up every so often. Screws into the press and makes splitting wads a cinch. Same concept as the broadhead, but no mod needed.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

I've not used this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Am i the only one who sits with a pair of sharp scissors, couple bags of wads, and a good movie? Takes 3 little snips for me, and after a handful of them i can just spin the wad and get 3 even slits each time. I havent seen any notable difference between 3, 4, and even/uneven slits. 2 slits was blotchier patterns

·
Registered
144 Posts
Am i the only one who sits with a pair of sharp scissors, couple bags of wads, and a good movie? Takes 3 little snips for me, and after a handful of them i can just spin the wad and get 3 even slits each time. I havent seen any notable difference between 3, 4, and even/uneven slits. 2 slits was blotchier patterns
I just take a razor blade, push it down with even pressure over the wad, rotate, and have a 4-slit wad; and do 100 at a time. It takes about 10-15minutes.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I just take a razor blade, push it down with even pressure over the wad, rotate, and have a 4-slit wad; and do 100 at a time. It takes about 10-15minutes.
12ga? I did 4 slits for most of my 12ga, cant remember how I even did it. I load all 20 gauge now and found 4 slits to pattern pretty much identically to 3, but having such small pedals makes me a little leery about barrel scoring so I do 3 now. I wish 2 would have patterned as well, that would be extremely easy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Morning all;
Just a random thought, "What was the intended actual purpose of the wad"?
I was led to believe that it was designed to protect the barrel from a modern shot material that could possibly damage the barrels internal makeup or was it?
I've seen /have shot shells that are of paper material and no wad, just old lead shot and a cork spacer between the powder. Does/has the wads improved a rounds ballistics?
If I add choke to a shotgun barrel to improve shot density, could I use the wad to do the same?
I know some of you guy's/ gals have already tested this and was curious to your findings.
Last question: Does/can wad design truly have a substantial impact on ballistic performance?
First cup of coffee; have a great day all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Morning all;
Just a random thought, "What was the intended actual purpose of the wad"?
I was led to believe that it was designed to protect the barrel from a modern shot material that could possibly damage the barrels internal makeup or was it?
I've seen /have shot shells that are of paper material and no wad, just old lead shot and a cork spacer between the powder. Does/has the wads improved a rounds ballistics?
If I add choke to a shotgun barrel to improve shot density, could I use the wad to do the same?
I know some of you guy's/ gals have already tested this and was curious to your findings.
Last question: Does/can wad design truly have a substantial impact on ballistic performance?
First cup of coffee; have a great day all.
Yes a wad has a huge impact on pattern combined with barrel, and choke. Comparing flight stopper wads with steel, HTL, bismuth, the flight stoppers pattern pretty evenly and tighter overall. Shot that sits us over the wad (bimsuth, lead, ITX10) patterns; but it does not pattern as evenly or tightly as compared to shot that is entirely contained in the wad.
Speed, shot size, buffer, pressure curve/spike, barrel length/forcing cone/backbone, wads all impact patterns.

Compare metro barrels (extreme barrel length) compared to 28” standard barrels, and the metro will pattern more evenly in the same constriction choke in the end.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The old technology was a fiber wad between powder and shot, but this lead to a lot of deformed shot and allowed gas to escape past the wad. The plastic shotcup protected the shot and made a better gas seal. When steel came out, the shotcup served the same purpose, except it was the barrel being protected from the shot.
So the effect on pattern, efficiency, and protection of the shot/barrel go hand in hand. Sort of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Very interesting guy's. Doc Swane mentioned barrel length and as always I have a question.... that I'm sure has been asked numerous times on this site. Does barrel length really make a difference?
Now any counter sales person will tell you there is no difference in a 26" or 28" barrel other than the 2".
I would have to politely disagree. I tried a 26" gun once and it was quite the learning curve to adjust to it.
I currently run a 28" gun, but also have some different barrel length auto 5's with 31" barrels (Full choke of course).
I had planned on using those with bismuth and ITX10 later in the season as those are the guns I loaded all those reloads over the summer for.
For me, the 28" barrel with a modified choke using factory rounds performs best overall. I can say that my reloads from previous years have performed the best from an old browning gold 3.5 gun fitted with a Kicks Hi-flyer ( mod.) and I have only had one season with the auto 5's fixed choke guns, but the results were about as pretty as the first roll crimps I tried to do which you all saw.
Teal season is just over a month away...........

101 - 120 of 121 Posts