Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I am wondering what is the best time during the day to hunt them??? Anything other simple pointers for us, we are gonna give it a go on Saturday. Is it like Turkey hunting? Deer Hunting?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
581 Posts
If i were you, id go out before light and set up. Its kinda like both deer and turkey hunting. YOu have to play the wind like deer hunting because they have an AMAZING sense of smell. Also yaou have to be camouflaged like turkey hunting, and not move an inch, or make a sound. Most activity happens right after sun-up, or just befor sunset (and all night, but id do a daytime hunt for your 1st hunt). Ive killed coyotes mid-day too, but most were sunrise/sunset.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Early morning is the best if you ask me.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Set up about an hour before sunrise and sunset. That's usually when they'll start moving. They aren't really like deer or turkey, if you call and don't hear or see anything for 30 minutes then move to the next hill. I think coyote hunting is a good median between small game and deer hunting. You can't just walk up and shoot them like small game, but you also don't have to sit in the same spot all day like for deer. In some areas it can be hard to hunt coyotes, around where I live the coyotes aren't real vocal, I've never heard a single howl in the 19 years I've lived here, and my dad hasn't heard one in the 50 years he's lived here. If you need suggestions on calls, I love the Primos Lil' Dog. I don't really like the Hot Dog much, I have both and the Lil' dog is my favorite. If you don't want the Lil' Dog I would still recommend a open reed call. You can make just about any sound you need in predator hunting on them. Anything from a howl to a rabbit in distress.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
All my dogs were shot during deer season or at night. I've never sat for them during the day. If you call, then see a dog, then dissapears, get your gun up. They always circle back around you to check downwind. If you think you may have a shot, take it. They usually don't give you many chances. What else works is if you have a small house dog collect some urine or a female dog in heats'. They will come running if they are in the area. My female springer must smell like jessica simpsons undergarments to coyotes. They walk right up to her urine and get lost in the smell.

·
Registered
357 Posts
All of my yotes have been shot right at first light but have walked up on a few during mid morning. Like everyone has said, setup before sun up, use good camo and don't move a muscle. The last one I called in he came running out of the ditch and stoped for a brief second and looked the other way. That was my chance to raise my gun and wait for him to come in closer. Which he did and that was a BIG mistake. :biggrin:

Another thing to keep in mind is when you do walk up into a spot to call sit there for 15-30 mins prior to calling. This will give everything around you a chance to settle down especially if you made a lot of noise walking in.

As far as call wise I use two. My long range is the Burnham Deluxe wood predator call and my close range call is a mini squealer that you hold between your lips also by burnham. The close range is always and good one to start with because you will be surprised how close some coyotes are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Been doing better midday the last few years. So many newbies starting weekly near me that I think the 'yotes are on to the dawn/dusk bit. Toss in the high volume, constant calling and sounding like a herd of cattle setting up no wonder the pickings are slim for them. Taken more dogs between 10:00 and 3:00 than any other time, same with bigger Deer.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
You know Cobra, that brings up a good point. The bigger deer will move during mid day because they pattern hunters like we pattern them and they know that most hunters will hunt the morning, leave in the evening, and possibly come back at night. They stay out during the morning and evening and come out mid day. I guess coyotes in heavily hunted area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.